My next project: scratchbuilt Ares I in 1/96th scale

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by dhanners, Feb 24, 2009.

1. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Outstanding detail and texture. Your work around the bottom of the SRBs is especially eye-catching.

Man, that is a gorgeous model.
  2. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Now that's an interesting pair of bookends... one will be ending and one will begin...

jaw-dropping job as always sir!!! jawdrop
  3. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Very Excellent David, It looks fantastic!!!! So if I may be so inquisitive, What is next?
  4. dhanners

dhanners Member

No idea. I've been trying to get Erik te Groen to re-do one of his Delta IIs to represent the launch vehicle for the recent NOAA-N satellite, and he's said he will, but he's a busy guy and there's no telling when he'll be able to get to it.

I had started on Erik's Spitzer space telescope but never finished it. Maybe I'll finish it.

Or, I might build Leo's Buran to replace the one I've got on my current Energia/Buran stack. It has always seemed to me that the black tiles on it aren't dark enough. Or at least they're not dark enough on mine; it could've been an issue with my printer. But the Buran's tiles always looked quite dark to me.
  5. dhanners

dhanners Member

I should add that what I'd really like to build is an accurate 1/96th-scale Soyuz launcher in contemporary colors and markings. I know Ton has a 1/48th-scale one that could be scaled down, but it's a "frosted tank" version and I'd like one without the frost....
  6. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Isn't that the Buran you built? I thought so. Are you just going to rebuild it to have darker tiles?
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Leo Cherkashyn´s 1:96 Scale Buran model

David,

These two models look very good side-by-side, in the same scale - and they do span an important period of space exploration history, beginning in the late 1970s and early 80s with Skylab and the ongoing assembly of the ISS, moving on to the Constellation Moon and space exploration program of the 21st century.
    The Constellation program can perhaps also be regarded as a kind of an end of a circle being closed, beginning with, and building on, the combined experience of the Mercury, Gemini, and, especially, the Apollo programs. There are many obvious similarities btw the Apollo and the Constellation programs, especially now as the idea of a 'hard' landing (with shock-absorbing, inflatable cushions) has been abandoned, in favor of the Apollo-type 'splash-down' ocean landings.

Re. the Buran model:
    I have had the same experience with my Epson printers - the sheets come out with the dark areas being light grey with a slight blue-green tint. I suppose it would be no great matter, if Leo gives his consent to this, to tweak the light grey color to a monochrome dark grey or near black in Photoshop. It might also be an idea to slightly reduce the saturation of the bright blue cockpit windows, to blend them in with the Atlantis shuttle cockpit windows? Just an idea . . .

I suppose you have seen the photos of the old Buran that they are currently planning to install into the Technik-Museum Speyer in western Germany?
    It´s a big bird:

[​IMG]

Bengt :thumb:
  8. dhanners

dhanners Member

Since my computer design (or re-painting) skills are non-existent, I was thinking of maybe darkening the Buran tiles either by paint or pastel chalk. But yeah, if there was some way someone could do it on computer for me (and others, of course) I'd be all for that. It's a really nice model otherwise.
  9. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Sir, I have to ask what kind of textured card/paper did you used for the ET and the upper stage of Ares 1... I may do a similar technique for the ET here... thanks! :-D
  10. dhanners

dhanners Member

I can't remember what the name of the paper is. It's a heavy stock, and textured, and I got it at an art-supply store. I've long recommended that card modelers should make a trip to their local art-supply store and look through their paper stock. There's a million different types of paper out there, and many of them can be used in card modeling.
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Buran Heat Shield

David,

As I came up with the idea, I suppose I might look into a re-color the black tile parts of Leo´s Buran model whenever I will have some time off. It will not be very soon, though. I would have to work on it page by page, and I would probably convert the PDF file to big (pixel-heavy) TIFs, in the same scale, for quality.

I will first e-mail Leo Cherkashyn, to check out whether it´s OK with him to do this, before I start a re-coloring in Photoshop.

If I get a green light, I will let you know, via a PM, when I have something good to show. It´s entirely up to Leo, if it will be alright to distribute a re-color of his original design to the members of this forum (perhaps via the download section). If I do this minor color alteration, I will state that I have and when, etc, but I will take no credit for it. We´ll see . . .

/Bengt :thumb:
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Buran Tile Color

David,

I checked Leo´s Buran model (rev. 3) and there are nine sheets that you could work with, if you were to darken the tiles. I thought about these tiles a bit further and had a look at some old Buran photos I found in my archive - the tiles were in fact rather dark when it was constructed - this is the, original, real 'live' Buran, not the mock-up in Germany, 20 years later:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The colors are a bit strange (probably ORWO transparency film from East Germany) but it´s interesting to see how dark the tiles are.
    Here is a photo of the (unmanned) Buran shuttle launch at Baikonhur Kosmodrome in Kazachstan, in November, 1988, and one of a remote landing of one of the flight test orbiters - please note that it has no less than four jet propulsion engines at the rear, just as the newly assembled mock-up Buran in the Technik Museum Speyer, in Germany:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here´s a final photo of 'the business end' of the Buran, showing the fin & side rudder, the attitude thrusters, the rear body tiles and trailing edge of the wing, with the flaps and ailerons:

[​IMG]

Furthermore, as the Buran was only launched once, it didn´t get scorched and light grey, like the Discovery orbiter has become today. In conclusion, I guess it could be an accurate representation to darken the tiles a bit according to these photos.

Cheers,
  13. dhanners

dhanners Member

Great photos; thanks for posting them.

When it comes to the things that stand out visually about Buran -- and, hence, something we modelers should pay special attention to -- the contrast between the black and white on the vehicle is really stark. It's even more stark than the contrast on the U.S. shuttles even when they were fresh off the assembly line.

I think it's also interesting that the nosecap is black (or at least a very dark gray) while the wing leading edges are obviously gray.

The dark gray tiles on Leo's shuttle is my only beef with the model. Otherwise, it is a well-engineered kit that goes together really well, and I would like to take a second crack at one with darker tiles.
  14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Buran Tile Re-color

David,

I have sent an e-mail to Leo Cherkashyn and explained what I´d like to do. I will await his answer. Check your PMs.

Best,
  15. gpw

gpw Member

I can add some own photos of an original Buran which I have made some month ago in the German technical museum of Speyer.

Gerd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Buran Model Update

Hi all,

It isn´t really the subject of this thread, but as the posts above deals with the Buran orbiter model, I´d like to inform those interested that Leonid Cherkashyn in Kiev is at the moment working on an upgrade of his original Buran rev.3 model. He has noted some minor propositions re. the color of the tiles, taken it to heart, and is now in the process of preparing a model with darker tiles, among other things - please refer to the bottom line: http://www.cardmodels-r.narod.ru/html/Upgrades-e.htm

The quality of his design work exceeds by far any amateurish attempts at a pixel-based re-coloring. For this we are indebted and very grateful to Leo, for his time and efforts.
    The new update will be vector-based, as the previous model, which means it can be printed at any scale with the same consistent and high quality.

We expect that Leo will announce the release of this new revision sometime in the near future on his web site, Cardmodels-R. So, keep your eyes open in a week or two!

Best regards,
    Bengt in Stockholm :thumb:

Link to Leo´s web site portal: http://www.cardmodels-r.narod.ru/index-e.htm
  17. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

This is a bit off topic but afer looking at Leo's models, I just have to ask.

Bengt, Do you know if Leo has a Soyuz on the way? I would like to build a soyuz with removable shroud if he is planning on releasing a model like that.

Thanks
  18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi underwood,

I haven´t a clue - sorry.

Best,
    Bengt :cry:
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

New Buran Revision from Leo Charkashyn

To all real space modelers:

Those interested in building a BURAN scale model, will be be very pleased in knowing that Leo has just finished working on a major color and detail update on his excellent Buran card model. He has kindly and generously welcomed suggestions on color changes from both David and me, which have benefitted in making the new representation even more true to the original orbiter.

He will be making it available from his web site, Cardmodels-R, very soon.

Best regards,
  20. dhanners

dhanners Member

I'll second Bengt's comments on the model. I just got finished printing the new version out and it looks so good that A) I'm going to have to build it and B) I'm going to have to use it to replace the old Buran currently attached to my Energia model.

Leo has done some great work here, and he is one of those designers/modelers who seems very open to comments and suggestions. Our hobby is very lucky to have him, and he has made quite a contribution to it with his talent and models.