My newest addition!

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Well everyone, just wanted to show you guys and gals my newest motive power. Its the new Proto 2000 GP30 with QSI sound. It really sounds as good as it looks. I once heard someone say, the GP30's were the prettiest ugly train ever produced. I guess i just have a soft spot for them, kinda like the old saying, the face that only a mother would love. Anyways, im proud of her, and cant wait until i can get her going pulling freight on my new layout. Hope you all enjoy, and thanks for looking.:wave:

Attachments

• geep 30 1.jpg
    geep 30 1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 230
  • geep 30 acfx tank.jpg
    geep 30 acfx tank.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 225
  • acy geep 30 2.jpg
    acy geep 30 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 224

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I'm one of those who loves them....and I'd love them more if they made them in N scale!!! And I want this one...

Attachments

• P3180189.JPG
    P3180189.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 218

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I thought the BL2's were considered the ugliest loco made?
I saw a BNSF GP-30 last year in Pheonix, doing switcing duties. Looked like it was fresh from the paint shop in Sante Fe's blue/gold Warbonnet scheme.....
And as usual...I didn't have my camera!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
trainsteve2435, i too have a P2K GP30!!:thumb: mine is the low nose though. i think they are an OUTSTANDING engine:thumb: . i also think the sound in them is just slap AWESOME!:D hope you enjoy yours, as much as i do mine:thumb: . :D -Deano

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I've never heard of a GP30 high nose until now and there's the proof above. 20 years and I thought I learned it all. Guess 20 out of 21 I missed a bit.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
The colors of that I&O are really nice... you don't see much white on diesels anymore but it sure gives them a clean appearance. That Southern (restored) is so clean outside you could just about eat off it.

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
eightyeightfan1 said:
And as usual...I didn't have my camera!

announce1 I agree, the BL-2 is definately the ugliest american diesel loco!

eightyeightfan1, I've got a new cell phone with a built in 2 mega pix camera a while ago. Not as good as a real camera, but I've allways a camera with my!:thumb: It has no optical zoom, but a digital zoom function. Most of the photos posted on this forum were taken with my cell phone.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I only once saw a "shell" of a GP30. it was one of CSX's road slugs semi-permanently coupled to a GP40-2 mother locomotive.

Does it still count as a GP30 spotted?

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
It looks like LifeLike Proto put some time and effort into the GP30 details. That is a good looking diesel ya got there Steve. I'm guessing it runs well too, as I've been very pleased with the Proto-N GP60's that I recently aquired. LifeLike can build a good product when they've a mind to.

BTW...I was stunned by just how little the cab windows were on the GP30 when my son and I got a cab ride on the Southern 2601. Sure I'm used to sitting at the pointy end of airplanes and having the best window seat...but wow, I was really wondering just how the engineers did it - how were they supposed to watch for track problems, vehicle traffic, and everything else they've got to do through those tiny windows and with a few feet of diesel hood still in front of them that seemed to completely block their view to the left??? How'd they do it???

Ahhh well...back to dreaming that one day LifeLike will put out a Southern GP30. Maybe next year............

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, and yes, it does run very well. Its very quiet, except the QSI sound, which also has the turbo sound on this one. Even at idle, you can hear the turbo whinning, just like the real ones. I also have the #82 ordered, but without sound though. Thanks again!:wave:

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
When you're dealing with something like that, there's going to be no agreement. In fact, I tried to find out about this topic some time ago http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=65170 BL2s are disliked, but so are DL-109s, CF7s and GE Genesis-series engines, to name a few.

I've always liked GP30s. Recently, I've surprised myself by discovering a liking for Southern engines. I hadn't realized how aesthetic high noses could be on second-generation diesels, or that a mostly-black paint scheme could actually be flattering.