my new track plan

Why me

Mar 29, 2004
london uk
Visit site
my new track plan TAKE 2

This my new track plan that has been drawn up for me by a nice on another forum open to any thing witch might help to improve it all comments welcome mike

Attachments

• track plan.jpg
    track plan.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 109

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Mike,

Looks interesting. I can't read the dimensions on it, so I do not know if you'd have any reach issues. Is it intended to be operated from the "pit" in the middle? If yes, what is the thick blue ine, andhow will you access the track behind it?

Overall, I think it looks good - has both continuous running, and a switching area for good operations.

What size is it, and what size room?

Andrew

Why me

Mar 29, 2004
london uk
Visit site
Hi Andrew its H0 scale going all around my rooom side 1, 10ft x36inches /side 2 10ftx 30inches /side 3 10ft x30inches /side 4 10ft x 30 inches its over 40ft square the blue line to show where buildings can be put the layout will be all DDC controlled all track is fleishmann self ballast turntable also fleishmann most buildings kibri and faller please feel freecto comment on layout if you see anything that can inprove or somthing that dont seem to work right i like honesty ty .mike

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Well Mike,

You asked for honesty...! :eek:

I think it is too deep in most places. 24" to 30" is about the maximum reach. I have operated layouts that were deeper, but all the switching is within 30". I am 5'11", and with the layout at ~45" the best reach I can have without breaking stuff near the edge is 30". Reducing the depth also has the added bonus of making the pit bigger.

Also, I would turn it "inside out". I would have the tracks at the bottom go "south" of the roundhouse/yard, and then up the west wall on the outside. That would enable the switching area to be moved closer to the pit for more convenient operation.

Lastly, where do you plan to duck under to get into the pit? If you can make that area as narrow as possible, your back will thank you! ;)

Andrew

Why me

Mar 29, 2004
london uk
Visit site
To gain entry to the pit i have built in a lift up flap that works on hingees that push the track up and out 24 inch entry track runs over it when shut works quite well in therorylol mike

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
One more final suggestion:

I modified the track at the top to simplify it so that you have a relatively uncomplicated spot to put your lift gate. (See the red square). I hope this is in the right spot! ;)

Andrew

Attachments

• s track plan 3.jpg
    s track plan 3.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 103

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think his industries will be what looks like a stub yard on the left side. I like the idea of putting the industrial tracks in front of the mainline with the city behind. I think you would still have room for industries at the stub sidings, but you won't have to try to reach over buildings to work the industries or rerail cars.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
I agree that putting the industrial trackage in front of the main makes sense, but still in this plan there seems to be an awful lot of yard switching and track for a very limited amount of industry.

JD

Russ Bellinis said:
I think his industries will be what looks like a stub yard on the left side. I like the idea of putting the industrial tracks in front of the mainline with the city behind. I think you would still have room for industries at the stub sidings, but you won't have to try to reach over buildings to work the industries or rerail cars.