My new start, again

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Before choosing this layout, that someone had made for me. After going back and forth between HO, and N scale. N scale won.

I have my Digitrax Zephyr, i have a few loco's, and rolling stock. I still have to paint my loco's and rolling stock in CNW colors.

I will be modeling in the northern wisconsin area. In the years between 1970 - 1980, or so. I was going to have a paper mill as my main industry. But there are no papermills to be found. So i will have to scratch build or combine a few different buildings together.

Here is my plans for my new layout. It is 7'x12' u shape.

]
nscale7x12layoutrl1.jpg
[/url]

Since this will be my first layout, my layout will be a slow progressing, fun, enjoyable expereince. I have been experimenting with hooking up magnetic couplers, turnouts just to make sure im doing things correctly.

Once i get the material for the benchwork, start the construction of my framework. The pictures will shortly follow.

CAS

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey Cas,

Nothing like the prospect of getting dreams and plans turn into wood, plaster, and steel...Just a note.
Looking at your track plan, the yard at the top forces you to run your trains counterclockwise. But then you'll be running into all facing sidings (engine goes in first). Whereas if your run clockwise, all your sidings will be trailing sidings (end of train goes in first). This is a more "realistic" scenario. If you can manage to fit in a return loop to turn the train around, or "flip" the upper yard so you exit clockwise, you'll find it a more enjoyable experience...

Good luck...!!!

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey...!!! You're right...!!! I saw, or thought I saw, all stub tracks on that yard, but you do have a clockwise exit. Good for you...!!!

Many happy days, and keep us posted on your progress...!!

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Did a little bit of work for my layout today. After doing some searching here on the Gauge on soldering. Learning how to tin, using flux, and adding some alligator clips for heat sinks. Every joint i soldered, went very well. No melted ties, and no burnt fingers. Very happy with the results bounce7 . I had soldered some flex track for the 15" radius curves.

Hopefully on my next project tonight, putting some GHQ trucks together, will go as well as my soldering.

Tomorrow(Friday), planning to go out and get my 1.5'' foam boards, and my 1x3 lumber for the table.

CAS

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
It took some time, but i finally finished clearing the space i need for the layout.

I started on my benchwork. I got 2 section completed. Need to add 2x2's for the legs on the other 2 sections. A total of 4 sections will complete the whole layout. i ran out of 2x2's,so i need to drive over to Home Depot for more 2x2's.

Next, i will have to borrow my sister's digital camera to get some photo's posted. I will have to either break my piggy bank, or take the money from under my mattress out sign1, for my own digital camera. Which will probably be a chore on which 1 to buy.

CAS

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Ok, it is that time folks. I have some pics of my layout to show you at last. :) ;)

The first one is section 1

The nect pic is section #2

Section #3

Section #4 has been built, but i still need to connect it.

There are a total of 4 sections, totally 7'x12'. I still have to glue my foam down to the framework. And braces to be added to the legs. Toggle bolted to 1 another. I just had to put some track down to see if it was level, and fit into my space. Plus i need to add my backdrop.

More pics to follow.

CAS

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Sherwood Park,Alberta, Canada
CAS said:
Here is my plans for my new layout. It is 7'x12' u shape.

Just wondering what program you used to do your layout plan?
I have tried downloading xtrkcad but I can't seem to get it to work.
All I get is ...."Unable to open due to wrong perameters".....
Maybe yours would work for me.

Your layout looks interesting.
Dennis

CAS said:
Before choosing this layout, that someone had made for me. After going back and forth between HO, and N scale. N scale won.
CAS

WOW I know what you mean, except I actually started my layout 3 times, first N gauge tore that up, then a HO layout tore that up, then another HO layout tore that one up too, so for my 4th one I'm back to N gauge.

I'll be starting a thread of my own "ONE DAY".

I'll be checking in on this thread every once in a while, keep up the good work.:thumb:

Andy

Chad

Dec 19, 2006
Cumming, GA, USA
This is one reason I look forward to the kids moving out LOL. There is no way I could build that at my house, maybe it is time to move? but there I wouldn't have as much money for hobbies :)