My New Haven Photos

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
i couldnt imagine doing all that work,mines about a 1/3 that size!looks good so far,cant wait to see your progress--josh

nhguy

Thanks,

It is a little daunting but when it's totall built it will be a really good running railroad operationally. THe bottom deck will be the double track Hartford line that ran between New Haven and Springfield, MA. What you see is the Valley Branch. Both decks will have a lot of switching There are already 28 industries on the branch and I haven't gotten to my home town of Wetherfield yet that had 7 or8 by itself. Not to mention all the business and the local state prison that used the team track there.

For example, there are 3 (actually 4 one guy will handle 2, one on each level) Tower man positions that can be manned or not depending on the crew size. These folks would route the trains where they needed to go. Just like the old New Haven did. I don't see many model railroads with actual tower man positions.

The train density will be high. As the NH was in the passenger business, and made a profit from that business, I hope to recreate at least some of it. With trains running 5 to 10 minutes apart on the real railroad it was a busy place. ABS with semephores is in the works.

Of course, I will have to see if I can actually do that or it would overwhelm the crew.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Living here in ex-New Haven country, which valley branchline are you talking about?
Essex or Naugatuck?
Just curious.

Edit:....Ooops, Should of read your post further. Naugatuck Valley Branch didn't go to Wethersfield...

chooch.42

Thanks for putting together the slide show! Impressive layout,trackwork looks beautiful ! Looking forward to your next progress report,(and thanks for putting FACES in the photos, too.).

nhguy

You're welcome and thank you all for the kind comments. I am having an ops session this afternoon and I will post some photos of that on the site later.

Bill S.

zedob

Nice layout! I model the NH during the early part of the 20th century, but nothing as impressive as your layout. I too was thinking about towerman positions and was actually interested to see if anyone has ever buildt a mock up tower and used video feeds to simulat ethe tower's view. I think it would be cool.

nhguy

Hi,

I've added photos pf todays Ops session to my web page. Highlight the addres under my name to see them. Enjoy.

Bill

Kanawha

Excellent layout. What are its dimensions? Also, what era of the New Haven are you modeling? I would guess early 50's?

nhguy

The layout dimensions are 25' x 35'. It's a double deck around the walls, center peninsula, walk in design.

Good observation, I am modeling the 1950-1953 era. I love first generation diessels and run some steam also. Steam wan't gone on the NH until 1952 so I can run them as well.

nhguy

zedob said:
Nice layout! I model the NH during the early part of the 20th century, but nothing as impressive as your layout. I too was thinking about towerman positions and was actually interested to see if anyone has ever buildt a mock up tower and used video feeds to simulat ethe tower's view. I think it would be cool.

That would be neat. My idea is to use the Hump Yard Purveyance Turnout controls, the ones that look like armstrong tower levers, at each tower location to just throw an electronic switch connected to a Tortoise machine. All the levers would be inset in a box mounted into the fascia big enough for a hand to get in there. I'm going to try at least one tower location to see if this would work.

Bill

Kanawha

Its a great layout, I look forward to seeing it progress. I wish I had that much room to work with. Someday...