My new Computer Room switching layout plan

jbaakko

Just looking for a little input. I'm on to V1.2 of a track plan for this room now, and its as follows.

The door is in its of nook to the top left, so I have plenty of space for that temp section there to the left to cross to another industry.

I added some text to describe my current visions. I think I'll be adding a station to the middle, just so that I can "stop" Amtrak trains & shoot them there.

The layout will be 100% foam built, with an additional 1" WS riser added to the top. I might drop in a road underpass or two, just for some interesting bridge shots. It will be supported on 1x2 legs with a 1x4 on its side a each module joint. I'll probably run a 1x4 or 1x2 between each leg to the rear, to keep the legs from moving. No lengthwise support on the front, I'll rely on each module to support it's self there.

Attachments

• switching1a2text.jpg
    switching1a2text.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 48

Russ Bellinis

Looks good. I think it would be a lot of fun to switch on it. The only potential problem I see is that passenger trains would have to go into the station, and then back into the staging yard again. Otherwise, I think they will foul your main switching lead and run around track.

jbaakko

Looks good. I think it would be a lot of fun to switch on it. The only potential problem I see is that passenger trains would have to go into the station, and then back into the staging yard again. Otherwise, I think they will foul your main switching lead and run around track.
The only "real" operating I'm looking for is the switching. Adding a station adds a reason for my to pose Amtrak trains, with a freight passing on the run around.

I highly doubt I'll be switching industries while a passenger train is in the station, as that would foul any possible mainline freight operation.

Great to think about though...

I was bothered all day by the grain complex having to be switched off the main, so I revised that area again, and added a locomotive pocket, just because. This will be V1.3

Attachments

• switching1a3text.jpg
    switching1a3text.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 20

Russ Bellinis

I don't know how Amtrac does things back East, but out here I've noticed at the Fullerton depot that even though they have a pedestrian bridge over the 3 tracks and fences between tracks, the frieght trains still wait for the passenger trains to clear the station or else the passenger teains wait for the freights to clear before they load and discharge passengers. They are not taking any chances on passengers getting off of a train and being injured or killed by a freight train.

jbaakko

Very true, but its more fun passing a waiting train! I was thinking of adding the fence between the tracks however.

Here's V1.4, added a spur in the grain complex, and the diagonal backdrop there. As far as it looks, this will pretty much be the final revision, unless I (or someone else) see's a major problem area.

Going look for the Foam tomorrow.

Attachments

• switching1a4a1.jpg
    switching1a4a1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 13

wpyr

I would have a loop someplace under the layout wear a passenger train could turn around. (Or other train.)

jbaakko

I would have a loop someplace under the layout wear a passenger train could turn around. (Or other train.)
I was thinking that, but adding any loop (22" min) anywhere in this room would make it tight. I'll see how it might fit in the staging...

jbaakko

One more update. I had to remove 5" of depth from the back of the modules on the right wall, to account for the window & blinds.

Foam sheets have been sourced, wood leg buying started. Shots to come later this week as I start putting it togeather.

Attachments

• switching1a5text.jpg
    switching1a5text.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 21

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
One more update. I had to remove 5" of depth from the back of the modules on the right wall, to account for the window & blinds.

Foam sheets have been sourced, wood leg buying started. Shots to come later this week as I start putting it togeather.

Looking good Josh!!! I like the plan alot :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Where you getting your foam from?

jbaakko

Lowes! Home Depot only had the expanded stuff, one of the local Lowes (only one) carries 1" x 2' x 8' sheets of the Dow board.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Lowes! Home Depot only had the expanded stuff, one of the local Lowes (only one) carries 1" x 2' x 8' sheets of the Dow board.

hmmmmm you got lucky there Josh lol

I have to special order mine from Lowes, it will be easy tho, I just have to talk to the guys I work with at the commercial sales desk, they said they could prolly special order some for me, I might have to buy more then I need tho :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I think theres like a 20 or 25 sheet minimum or something like that. Thats about how many come in the bundle I think.

All well, ill keep it and use it for other layouts :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jbaakko

Sweet! I'll be starting the construction thread this weekend, by then I should have a good majority of it started.