My New Bachman 2-8-0 (N Scale)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I am so pleased with this engine...both appearance, & performance, that I had to have her pose for a picture on one of my dioramas!
I hope this is the begining of a new trend in N scale steam!

Attachments

• mvc-007f.jpg
    mvc-007f.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 88

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Love that little bugger too. I have 4 of them, 1 with a decoder. Need to get the others "fixed" also. It just moves around the layout so nicely - and it is frightfully quiet. I really need to search for it when it is running. It is going to be interesting when I finally get the scenery, mountains, buildings, etc. up as I will probably lose one or two of them for a while when I run them.:D :D they have pretty good pulling power also. I have one of mine pulling a 7 car passenger train (heavyweights).

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
A great photo of a natural looking scene Charlie. That loco looks as if it belongs there. I've heard that loco runs as good as it looks too.
Questions:-
Can an MT coupler be fitted to the pilot easily?
What is the o/a length of loco (over MT's)?

So you've been holding out on us as far as dioramas go huh? :) :)

Errol

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
That's more like it Charlie! Bet that little jewel won't be shoved to the rip track for a while :D

Kettlestack, I ain't sure but I think that trestle has been in one of Charlie's Photo's before? it was sporting a 4-4-0 then. If it is, it's one of my favoritve pic's. I'd love to have a nice print of it to hang on my train room wall.

t.

I've got one of those 2-8-0s as well. I saw one when they first came out and I couldn't believe how quiet it was. Neither could the shop owner either. He kept calling everyone who walked in over to the test track to show them his new toy and asked them to guess who made it. I don't think that anyone got it right the first time. I know I didn't!

It also looks like the LL 2-8-8-2 is starting to arrive. I'm getting pretty anxious just thinking about mine. The early reviews say that it's farily quiet and a very strong puller. I can't wait!

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by kettlestack
Can an MT coupler be fitted to the pilot easily?
What is the o/a length of loco (over MT's)?

Errol

Errol,

The reports that I have read on other forums and elsewhere on the net is that it is very difficult to put an operational M-T on the pilot. I have heard (but can not confirm anywhere) that a coupler/pilot conversion was in the works from M-T but probably not for a while. Again that is newsgroup talk with absolute zero verifiability. It would be nice if we could get one but if you look at the machine as it is now it would take a big chunk out of the front to put a M-T box in there and it would destroy the overall appearance of an otherwise excellent looking and running loco.

I'm going to just run mine solo for the time being.:) :)

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
You're correct David, I too admired that pic of Charlie's with the old timer on the trestle.

Re the pilot coupler...... it's as I suspected. I'm changing to N-gauge now and have a couple of Atlas/Rivarossi steamers with MT's front and rear. I just didn't particularly like the idea of finding space for a turntable :eek: . I'll wait and see if MT bring out a conversion pilot for that Bachmann 2-8-0. I have the HO version of it and it's a beauty!!

Thanks for your input Dave (even if you did forget to tell me the o/a length of the beast :D :D :D )

Errol

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
ooooopppsss!!

Originally posted by kettlestack
Thanks for your input Dave (even if you did forget to tell me the o/a length of the beast :D :D :D )

Errol
:eek:

~5 3/4" coupler to coupler. My rear couplers are still the horn hooks. Have not gotten around to changing them yet.:) :) :)