My MOW Crane and Flat

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Well I finally got around to putting some finescale grab irons on some rolling stock.

I took some pics to show my MOW Crane and Flat car. The Flat has the irons on it.

Attachments

• MOWFlatandCrane.jpg
    MOWFlatandCrane.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 173

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
well I work as a security guard at a factory and it get REALLY boring on the graveyard shift there. I took that flat and my CSX caboose and put grabs on both of them. The caboose is still in pieces because it is schedule to be in the paint shop soon to get a repaint in the CSX Stealth scheme.

I like that flat car a lot. The 4 sets of trucks on it give it that heavy duty look for a great crane tender flat. It wasn't too hard to put those irons on it really. Just drilling all those holes into the edges of the car was tedious but well worth it in the end.

The caboose had a ton of irons on it that I put on. It had 4 onthe cuploa roof, the curved ones net to the steps on the sides, and irons above and below the windows on the ends. I will take some pics of it once I get some new paint on it since right now it looks like crap with a lot of the paint scraped off and no decals.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You must be really loading the stuff on that flat for it to need 4 trucks!

A tip I found useful when installing grabs - create a template for drilling the holes on a thick(er) piece of styrene, and then tape it in place. Then drill through without worrying about slipping or misaligning. 'Course, it didn't save me from breaking my #80 drill bit. Darn thing is so small.... ;)

Nice work!

Andrew

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Thanks for all the compliments folks.

Sumpter, I actually have two of them in the midst of getting repainted right now, the CSX and my Clinchfield .

I just puts up some pics of the Clinchfield since it is the one I am currently working on.

I still need to get the blue paint for the CSX caboose and the decals for it since there is no way I am able to hand paint or spray on the CSX lettering.

Hey Chessie!

Great job! :thumb: You and I think along the same mainlines, too. The Hudson Electric needed an MW crane, too, but, well, you know, budgets and all that! This is a Vintage Vehicles Erie B-2 steam crane kit mounted on a Funaro & Camerlengo potbelly flat car. The 'boom car' is a F & C war emergency composite gon. The magicians at the Jersey City backshops keep it in good repair and the photos show the crane operator running some tests. :p A small crane on an electric railroad is necessary for routine work in order to clear catenary overhead. The last detail is to chain the crane down to the flat car deck and it'll be ready for service! ;)

Russ :wave:

Attachments

• Crane 2.jpg
    Crane 2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Crane 1.jpg
    Crane 1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 88