My layout progress

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
No More Dust

Jim Krause said:
In the meantime it collects dust and lint and slows down working in the area. Any suggestions?

Hi Jim, you can put a plastic dustbin bag over the area with water- or news paper for smaller areas, they are both light but will do a great job of keeping the dust off, also once the layout is finished- or rather in an operating state- you can put plastic bags around the whole layout to keep dust to a minimum since dust unfortunately doesn't fall to scale on layouts. :wave:

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Denyons: Meant to ask. What part of Alberta is your seaport in???? Back in the days of steamboats here on Flathead Lake, Polson used to be called the largest seaport in Montana:wave:
Thanks to all for the info on waterizing the layout. I'll do some experimenting while waiting for warm enough weather to do the actual thing on the club layout. Unheated building, so spring is work time, before the museum opens.

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Sherwood Park,Alberta, Canada
Jim Krause said:
Denyons: Meant to ask. What part of Alberta is your seaport in???? Back in the days of steamboats here on Flathead Lake, Polson used to be called the largest seaport in Montana:wave:

Well....I do have Alberta Mountains, Small Town and Grain Elevators.
I always wanted to do a dock scene as I am originally from Manchester, UK where there was an inland port. The ships came down the Manchester Ship Canal from Liverpool.
Dennis

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Dennis

For the water in my docks and the fast flowing river, I used Matte Medium which is available at Drafting and Art stores

Do you really use MATTE medium? I always thought that one should use acrylic GLOSS medium to model water - and from your pictures the water surface looks shiny and not flat, like the designation "matte medium" suggests. Could you enlighten me a bit about this? I'm just curious... :confused:

This is no criticism at all - on the contrary! I admire your harbor scene and the water looks great. I also love the color of the typical dirty, murky water in your port basin.

Oh, and BTW: Your mountain scenery is really marvelous - for once not only a little mole hill stashed away in a corner. :D Super layout - congratulations! :thumb:

Ron

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
RailRon said:
Dennis

Do you really use MATTE medium? I always thought that one should use acrylic GLOSS medium to model water - and from your pictures the water surface looks shiny and not flat, like the designation "matte medium" suggests. Could you enlighten me a bit about this? I'm just curious... :confused:
Ron

Hi Ron, You are correct .... You can use either Gloss Medium or Matte Medium. I chose Matte....It shows up fairly shiny because of my halogen lights shining on it..
I would think that water would show up different depending on the day...Cloudy or Sunny.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Dennis

ahawkscry

Jan 25, 2007
Gillette, Wyoming
Great layout! Maybe someday I will have the room to build something like that. Where did you purchase your Bulkhead Loads on your Bulkhead Cars that in the picture on the penuisulia?
Thanks alot, Rob Webb

2218595260093292052S425x425Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
ahawkscry said:
Great layout! Maybe someday I will have the room to build something like that. Where did you purchase your Bulkhead Loads on your Bulkhead Cars that in the picture on the penuisulia?
Thanks alot, Rob Webb

Hi Rob, I made the lumber loads myself.
The paper print outs were done by a friend and they are glued and wrapped around some small blocks of wood that I cut.
I may be able to scan the printouts for you, if you would like them, but I just returned from the Calgary Supertrain Show and leave right away to Arizona for 2 weeks so you may have to wait.
Email me if you would like the printouts.

Attachments

• Lumber Load on Red Caboose Centrebeam 1.JPG
    Lumber Load on Red Caboose Centrebeam 1.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 284

ahawkscry

Jan 25, 2007
Gillette, Wyoming
Yes That would be great! I want to put some type of wrapped wood load on my Bulkhead Flat Cars. Just whenever you get a chance, just email the scans to me at: ahawkscry at msn.com . The at means @. This saves me from spam and junk mail. Thanks alot. Rob Webb

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Looks great, as far as the DigiTrax system goes, I would go with the Chief. It has way more features that you might think you will need right now, but believe me, as you get more and more locomotives and start mixing different brands with each other, lots of those features will be very handy!
Keep the pictures coming!

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
SD90 said:
Looks great, as far as the DigiTrax system goes, I would go with the Chief. It has way more features that you might think you will need right now, but believe me, as you get more and more locomotives and start mixing different brands with each other, lots of those features will be very handy!
Keep the pictures coming!

Rethinking about the Digitrax Zephyr Mike and will start looking for a Chief.
I already own a DT400 throttle
Still working away on my layout, mostly with detailing although I still have a few areas of scenery to finish.
I would like to scrap all the trees on the Canyon modules and make new ones but it will come a little later.
Dennis

Attachments

• _MG_2708 Jan 2007.JPG
    _MG_2708 Jan 2007.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 223
  • _MG_2745 Jan 2007.JPG
    _MG_2745 Jan 2007.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 217

ahawkscry

Jan 25, 2007
Gillette, Wyoming
Hi Dennis,
I just wanted to say thank you for the lumberload scans. They helped alot. Your layout looks great. Alot of detail on there. I love your mountains. Everything looks great. Keep up that great work. Just to let you know. If you do plan to scrap all those trees on the mountains. I would buy them from you if you are serious. Have a great day dennis. Until next time. From Rob Webb

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Hi Rob,
Glad the lumber loads Email came through OK. It is easy to make them up if you can cut up some small blocks of wood.
Yes, I will be stripping all those trees off my layout as I want to make a much more realistic tree.
I will keep you in mind when it happens.
Dennis

Attachments

• _MG_2762 Jan 2007.JPG
    _MG_2762 Jan 2007.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 222

luigi

Mar 5, 2007
Awesome layout dennis. It's nice to see someone so close to home. I'm from Fort Saskatchewan, bout 15-20 minutes from you. I'm just getting into n scale and I am working on my layout plans and stuff. Keep up the great work layout looks great.

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Hi Luigi, Thanks for the comments.
If you are just starting in N Scale you should join my club The Edmonton N Scalers at Londonderry Mall. You will learn a lot in a club and we are always looking for new members.
Another couple of photos of the canyon on my layout. I will eventually make fast flowing water for the river bed.
Dennis

Attachments

• 001 Canyon.JPG
    001 Canyon.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 002 Canyon.JPG
    002 Canyon.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 189

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
I am working on the Canyon river bed....adding water.
Also working on a small lake.
I have painted the river bed and the lake with a mix of dollar store acrylics, light green plus blue and a touch of black. I am trying to copy the colour we have in Alberta's Rockies.
My next step will be adding the Gloss Gel Medium as I want to make the river fast flowing.
The lake will have a few ripples.
Dennis

Attachments

• IMGP3842.JPG
    IMGP3842.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 129
  • IMGP3844.JPG
    IMGP3844.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMGP3847.JPG
    IMGP3847.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMGP3846.JPG
    IMGP3846.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 183

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Layout

NAZGUL was asking for my layout plan some time ago and after several poor attempts at doing it with a Cad Program I gave up and drew it myself.
I have double track all around the layout.
Looking at the yard area, Main Line 1 is at the top and Main Line 2 is below it.
At the moment it is all Analog but I intend making Main 2 Digital and Main 1 will be switchable between Analog and Digital to give me the oppotunity to run many of my locos that cannot accept a decoder.
Dennis

Attachments

• s Layout.JPG
    s Layout.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 92

Mrplow123

Jul 14, 2006
Hayward California
That is a very nice track plan. I already had my heart set on building my new layout ike yours, with the 3 peninsulas, but without conecting the furthest 2 peninsulas together. So I would end up with a W shaped layout. But now that I have seen your layout, I think I want to connect the 2 farthest peninsulas together. What are you layouts dimensions? Overall size? The length and width of each peninsula? And the space between each peninsula? I have been granted permission to go bigger on my layout, but unless I can find a good usable way of doing it, I will just go with the design I have. I don't want to build bigger just to build bigger. I want to build bigger for a purpose. Thanks in advance.