My latest scratch built structure.

aaragorn

Aug 9, 2006
Hey people. This is my first ever post here. These are pics of my latest S-scale structure. Will add some more later. A little about the structure: All the doors open and close. The square doors slide in and out. There are two pics of these doors which shows how I made sliding mechanism. Hope this helps anyone who is trying something similar. For all those who are curious, almost the entire building was made from a table mat that was made of thin strips of wood. It was a great find. Unfortunately, I bought only two at that point and most of it has been used on this building. The doors and frames were made using balsa wood. The floor was made using ice-cream sticks. Anyone wants to guess what the roof was made of??

Any feedback will be appreciated.

View attachment 28760

View attachment 28772

View attachment 28762

View attachment 28763

View attachment 28764

Attachments

• Image(05)c.jpg
    Image(05)c.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 917
  • Image(07)c.jpg
    Image(07)c.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 906
  • Image(08)c.jpg
    Image(08)c.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 908
  • Image(04)c.jpg
    Image(04)c.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 895
  • Image(06)b.jpg
    Image(06)b.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 908

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Welcome to The Gauge :wave: . Nice to have one more very talented scrath builder at this forum. Wonderful job :thumb: .

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Welcome to the Gauge. Great job. You should be aware that we have a scratchbuilt challenge going right now, and it's not too late to enter. You can read the details right here. This would be an awsome project to enter.:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi and welcome aboard! You sure started off with a bang with your first post! Very nice modeling!! I admire people who use everyday objects to create great looking projects like yours. Hmmmm, the metal roof....? Whatever it is creates a nice effect.
Ralph

COX 47

Dec 28, 2004
Nice work...Good to hear from S scaler....Do you have a layout? How about some more pictures?...Jerry

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Welcome to the Gauge, aaragorn.:wave:
I agree: great looking structure and an innovative use of materials.:thumb: :thumb: You've certainly chosen the right scale to show off your talents.

Wayne

aaragorn

Aug 9, 2006
Hey friends, Thank you for all your comments, feedback and encouragement. Since so many of you think the structure is good enough to be on the competition, I'll go for it :) . I understand that to enter the contest, I need to start a new thread titled, 'my screen name - challenger 1'. Now, do I post a link to this thread there or should I be doing this again (Descriptions, uploading pictures et al)?
To answer some of the questions, I do not have a layout at the moment. I'm currently buying/making stuff so that I can use them on the layout when it is ready.
The roof of the structure was made from the metal part you find on floppy disks. ;)

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Good idea to use the metal parts of floppies, looking good. But where did you get so many floppy discs? I thought they were an extinct species, haven’t used any for years.

aaragorn

Aug 9, 2006
cnw1961 said:
Good idea to use the metal parts of floppies, looking good. But where did you get so many floppy discs? I thought they were an extinct species, haven’t used any for years.

Hey, actually even I don't use floppies any more. But I'm one of those people who collects every junk they can find. And I feel every scratch builder should do that. You never know what is going to be useful. So, basically my Dad had all these floppies from one of his businesses and I saved them. Glad they came in handy now. :)

Aaragorn, welcome ...

... and nice to meet here a more scratchbuilder!

I love your technology making the walls from single boards! You can see the small differences of wide and thickness of boards in contrast to preformed or mechanical scripped material like it is available from Northeastern as sample.
You use same methods as I do also and so I'm glad to see your models. Looking forward for next models from your "shop".

Bernhard

aaragorn

Aug 9, 2006
Hey Bernhard, Thank you. Sorry it took me a while to reply, couldn't get on the net that much last one month.

It's great to know your building style is similar to mine. Maybe we will be able to share ideas in the future. :thumb: