My Lack of Modeling

Z

Zathros

I was recently "called out" at "another forum" about my lack of building. I have multiple, multilevel Spinal Cord Injuries. It affects my eye sight and my hands, among other things (legs, feet, speech). It makes it very difficult to build models the way I once did. I actually have a rather well equipped machine shop in my Barn that I can barely use for the same reason. I used to restore Older Mercedes Benz's and have an M.G. Midget and a 450SL left to do (both 1973), hopefully, with the help of my son, as one of them will be his when he turns 16. So, if you don't see me build much, that is the main reason. I am hoping to get more treatments to help, but never sets my heights too high for this kind of stuff. I have had 6 major Spinal Cord Surgeries and cannot have anymore. So, I have much experience, but my ability is somewhat dampened. I have faith that this will change for the better, but it might not, and I am O.K. with that too. It seems to bother other people more than me!:confused:

I thought I'd let you guys know, as my respect for the membership here has deepened , a lot, as of late. :eek:ops:

aleks

sorry to hear this from you.
I wish your health problems will be solved soon.
I also esteem deeply your serenity...

Nothing more to say, I think...

bulldogowner

Destroyer of Spam
Keep your head high...we're proud to have you here, and I for one fully understand what it's like to have injuries that stop you from doing what you may want to do.

hmas

I have multiple, multilevel Spinal Cord Injuries. It affects my eye sight and my hands, among other things (legs, feet, speech). It makes it very difficult to build models the way I once did.

Ladies & gentlemen, as another person with spinal & other problems. I can sympathise with Zanthros, the constant soreness lack of mobility & what were fine controlled movements now jerky twitches, ( for want of a better description) I could go on....
But wot reely Nisses me orf are the bludgers who won't work ( I'm not referring to paper model groups here)& expect everyone else to do stuff for them.
Yeah I won't get my knickers inna knot if the mods kill this post either.

chooch.42

Zathros...Your injuries/disabilities may have limited your personal participation in crafting of card and other avocations, but because you have accepted and conscientiously pursued the position and duties of Moderator and devoted your time, knowledge, and enthusiasm to this site (in the best tradition of those before you), we thank you for your effort. We may all gain from your skill and experience...and now, with awareness of your challenges, we may find greater motivation to overcome our own...Thanks. Bob C. :thumb:

Z

Zathros

The "fakers" have made it so bad for people who really are in need, it is almost better not to think about it.:cry: The twitches are a form of Myoclonus. This is similar to the 'Jerk" you get just before you go to sleep (not the self induced ones you perverts!):twisted:. Alprasolam, ( Xanax), can help a lot for this. Sometimes, it is indicative of a sleep problem, which people with Spinal Cord injuries, (and many other people) suffer. Sleep studies are a very important test, especially if you find yourself exhauste4d in the middle of the day. In the sleep study that was done on my, they woke me up after I had stopped breathing 150 times. Only 45 minutes had passed.:eek: Needless to say, I sleep with a tire filling machine attached to my face every night. Some mornings, fluffing the sheets can be dangerous.:p
If you are diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, Nuvigil can change your life. it will help you stay awake, and has virtually no side effect, except it tastes like Brake Cleaner, Thank God it's in a pill!.

JHSurf

hmmm never tried tasting brake cleaner before

I actually didn't try, but I definitely was off on my aiming! Worse that Electrical Contact Cleaner, not as good as Dry Gas though!

Experimental Designs

Papercraft Visionary
Hopefully once I get some models out of storage and give them a nice rebuff I'll be posting them soon. Very soon.

Also Zathros I hope your health problems are not permanent. I have seen some of your work and I'm eager to see more.

zwave343

the human lazor
Deep

Zathros, you wouldnt expect it from you. Did people on the other site harass you for not building many models. That is what my father would consider low.
Which is actually more insulting than what you think. But zathros, i wouldnt expect for anyone to harass you for it. I had a relative with a similar problem. Sad. But this site isnt neccesarily all about designing and building em. I only joined so i could get instructions for a pelican i got off planet star freak.com
And i never expected to get this involved! Hope you all the best

Z

Zathros

Zathros, you wouldnt expect it from you. Did people on the other site harass you for not building many models. That is what my father would consider low.
Which is actually more insulting than what you think. But zathros, i wouldnt expect for anyone to harass you for it. I had a relative with a similar problem. Sad. But this site isnt neccesarily all about designing and building em. I only joined so i could get instructions for a pelican i got off planet star freak.com
And i never expected to get this involved! Hope you all the best

It was a couple of jerks, and they are NOT representative of that site. 99.9% of the people there are quite excellent.:thumb:

Mark Crowel

User of old school drafting tools; no CAD.
I'm praying that with medication and time, your condition will improve. Thank you for carrying on the responsibilities of being a moderator, and for encouraging me in my model building, through your kind posts.

Z

Zathros

Thank You Mark. I am trying to save some pennies and get a CraftRobo. I think one of those would be "just what the doctor ordered". :)

I also really like your modeling technique. I grew up been driven around in cars like these. Every time I see the pictures I remember how the cars smelled on really Hot Summer days!

valmy33

International requiem

Thank You Mark. I am trying to save some pennies and get a CraftRobo. I think one of those would be "just what the doctor ordered". :)

I also really like your modeling technique. I grew up been driven around in cars like these. Every time I see the pictures I remember how the cars smelled on really Hot Summer days!

especially dedicated for two silly jerks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVi5RPp91Iohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELxr5asAe-4&NR=1

Zathros we need you !

Soon
Valmy

Z

Zathros

That's a really cool video tape, boy did people smoke a lot back then! I wonder what kind of car that was in the beginning, the Blue one?:thumb:

@Valmy:
Je dois choisir mes mots avec soin, car la politique
même si elles ne sont que deux bites.
Leurs bouches ont renversé ce qui est dans leurs cœurs
Ils doivent vivre ignorants, mais ils vivent dans le bonheur. :)

The song translates to something like:
It's the Requiem for a Jerk
Yeah
I composed it specially for you
In memory of you, scoundrel
On your pale face, on the prisons' walls

I'll inscribe myself: "silly jerk"

valmy33

Hi Zathros

The blue is a Matra 530 (1967-1973). Behind at the begining you can see a white sport car just in front of the Eiffel Tower : an Alpine A110 (won the WRC 1973)

The cigarette belongs to the character Serge Gainsbourg (a french song writer). The scene took place during the sixties (movie : le Pacha)...an other era.:cool:

Faithfully
Valmy

Z

Zathros

Yeah, I thought it said 1968. I cannot believe the quality of the sound and video. The US was really lacking on a lot of stuff. Even the Moon landings look fake!! I like the song!!

blaar

I was recently "called out" at "another forum" about my lack of building. I have multiple, multilevel Spinal Cord Injuries. It affects my eye sight and my hands, among other things (legs, feet, speech). It makes it very difficult to build models the way I once did. I actually have a rather well equipped machine shop in my Barn that I can barely use for the same reason. I used to restore Older Mercedes Benz's and have an M.G. Midget and a 450SL left to do (both 1973), hopefully, with the help of my son, as one of them will be his when he turns 16. So, if you don't see me build much, that is the main reason. I am hoping to get more treatments to help, but never sets my heights too high for this kind of stuff. I have had 6 major Spinal Cord Surgeries and cannot have anymore. So, I have much experience, but my ability is somewhat dampened. I have faith that this will change for the better, but it might not, and I am O.K. with that too. It seems to bother other people more than me!:confused:

I thought I'd let you guys know, as my respect for the membership here has deepened , a lot, as of late. :eek:ops:

Hey man, I know exactly how you feel, although I am not in the same boat as you regarding the use of my hands but when it comes to eye sight I am up there with you. My vision is about 30% of those with normal eye sight.

This is also the reason why I release more models than what I actually build, and when I do build models I build them big with not to many small parts.

Thing is, keep building and don't get discouraged, this is not a competition and each model built has its own unique flaw, and those who build there model perfectly, well good for them, at least my model is not the same and is unique.

Respect