My Inglenook Sidings Game

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.

For storage, why not run to wooden cleats lengthwise, put a board on them that can slide out one end with a hinged door, making a very simple drawer without all the hardware? You could simply but foam on the insides, drawer top and bottom and maybe inbetween cars. If you want I can show some basic plans to give an Idea.​

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Jesso, who manufactures the sheds on your layout? ( a manufacturer name and part # would be very appreciated ) because i'm looking for some small structures for my 21" X 11 " switching layout.

I like the wooden disks too.

Jacques

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
I followed Scott's (Jesso) reply to Cannonball's thread to this thread. Looks like a neat little "unwinder". Maybe something to "do" trains without getting a whole 14'x17' footer up & running....Perhaps in the living room..?? Hhmmm.....:thumb:

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I think a switching puzzle is a yard but with limited space so moving cars is more challenging that in a real yard.
Real railroad are here to make money and work fast , not to provide intellectual challenges to the switcher engineer.

Jacques

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I think a switching puzzle is a yard but with limited space so moving cars is more challenging that in a real yard.
Real railroad are here to make money and work fast , not to provide intellectual challenges to the switcher engineer.

Jacques

Actually I fully believe "switching puzzle" gets misuse by those that lacks the knowledge of the many different types of layout designs.
I already seen a layout base on 2 different prototype areas called a '*cough*cough* a "Inglenook" which by all rights is a British model railroad term.

Neither of these 2 layouts designs are "Inglenooks","Time Saver" or "Switching Puzzle" but,are fully fuctional ISLs that could be incorporated into a larger layout...

switchinglayout-1.jpg

ISL2.jpg

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Some older urban industrial districts was a maze of track work but,nothing like the time waster as there was always room to work also railroads has a tenacy to avoid switch backs that requires moving a spotted car from one industry to get to another since there is safety issues involved and not to mention industry sidings is usually own by the customer up to the derail.
That's why there may be special instructions in the employee time table advising certain locomotives can not operate over (say) William Brothers Mfg track and in some extreme case ALL locomotives can not operate over William Brothers Mfg track.

Oddly I am yet to see that mention in any book on industries or operation I have look through.