My Great Northern Family Grows

waredbear

I'm really getting stoked about my Great Northern family. I was able to buy a few additions this weekend. My greatest joy was...
489772.jpg

picking this set up on E-Bay. I can't wait for them to arrive. I had a package waiting for me yesterday when I got home. It was my first three GN box cars...
490396.JPG

Now I have to get more...need more cars...need...need...need...

I already have a GE 44-Toner, a GP-9 Switcher, and an FT A/B Road Switcher. I will have to snap a few picture of them and post here as well.

In His Service, :)
Reid

CRed

Nice stuff you have there:thumb:!

I'm a Great Northern fan also,but I like Northern Pacific more.

The Lake Superior Transportation Museum here has an GN NW5 and a SD45 "Hustle Muscle" that they use for excursions along with others.I'll have to get pictures of them this year.

Chris

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Very nice additons to the family! Who wouldn't love the Empire Builder!?! :) The box car paint scheme is cool too!
Ralph

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
great set,i too was tempted by the great northern set but saved for other stuff.great buy though.--josh

Don'tcha just love when it all comes together and you get that dream piece or set you been achin' for!
felt the same way when the wife said yah go ahead and buy it.
heres what she let me get....Challenger imports M2 2-6-8-0

Attachments

• GN M2.jpg
    GN M2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 75

CRed

GN.2-6-8-0 said:
Don'tcha just love when it all comes together and you get that dream piece or set you been achin' for!
felt the same way when the wife said yah go ahead and buy it.
heres what she let me get....Challenger imports M2 2-6-8-0

Very neat and peculiar engine:thumb:.

I want a DM&IR "Yellowstone" and that's only made in brass,unfortunantly MY wife wouldn't let me spend $1500+ on an engine.I'm happy for you though:).

Chris

Triplex

like thos boxcars, dont think i have seen that scheme before..
It looks like the passenger car colors, and since locomotive/passenger car schemes weren't usually applied to freight cars, I'll assume those are express boxcars.

erikstoll

Triplex said:
It looks like the passenger car colors, and since locomotive/passenger car schemes weren't usually applied to freight cars, I'll assume those are express boxcars.
makes perfect sense then

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Where did you get the train in your signature from? I would like to have one of those. I can afford that.
thumbsup.gif

go to google and type "train gifs" and pick a site with the trains you like,then download them as a pic and upload them here then put the url in your sig and the cars will pop up.hope you can understand,im not to good at instructions :D .--josh

CRed said:
Very neat and peculiar engine:thumb:.

I want a DM&IR "Yellowstone" and that's only made in brass,unfortunantly MY wife wouldn't let me spend $1500+ on an engine.I'm happy for you though:).

Chris

They can be had for less,this is a 1966 Akane that maybe does not have quite the detail of the later issues but it cost less than $500....painted/lettered/and with constance lighting.
AND it pulls like a drafthorse....

Attachments

• Akane DM&IR Yellowstone.jpg
    Akane DM&IR Yellowstone.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 51

CRed

GN.2-6-8-0 said:
They can be had for less,this is a 1966 Akane that maybe does not have quite the detail of the later issues but it cost less than $500....painted/lettered/and with constance lighting.
AND it pulls like a drafthorse....

I have seen Akane models on E-Bay,not very often though and they went for more then that.I would be willing to spend that much on one,but I'd have to sell some stuff off to do it.

Is that your model?Looks nice even though the pictures a bit small.Thanks for posting it.

Chris

Ya'its mine,forgot to say i bought it about 17yrs ago but still they can be found for a reasonable price.
frankly the way some of the plastic locos are looking.....AND Sounding! i'd much preferr them when at all possible.... i just bought a bachmann 2-10-0 Russian Decapod with the Tsunami sound decoder in it for less than a 20yr old PFM brass unit would cost and am just blown away by the realistic sound......
As for the picture ,when uploading it wouldn't let me upload anything over 70KB....besides that was a bit of a rush pic.just threw it up on the kitchen counter and snap a couple for you..lol

CRed

I prefer plastic also,but unfortunantly there's no such thing as a DM&IR "Yellowstone " in plastic so I'd have to get a brass model.There's no way I'm paying anywhere near $1000 for one,if one came up for $500 or so I'd think about that.I love looking at the real one at the museum here and having a model of it would be pretty cool.

Chris

Nuts.....I thought you said it was a video of ya chasin' the mailman down the street:mrgreen:
Nice set love the E units....