My Future Milwaukee Road Iowa Division Layout

Dec 10, 2007
Miles Western, I have uploaded the map of Iowa that includes the Iowa Division including the part I am modeling from Perry,Iowa to Savanna,Illlinois from 1979-1980.I am going to run 2 GP 38-2's for some locals,SD40-2's for mainline freights and MP15AC's for the other locals.yard classification and to switch the industries.The motive power will total 2-GP38-2's,4-SD40-2's and 4 MP15AC's along with 4- bay window cabooses,and 80 freight cars from auto racks,piggyback flats,cement hoppers open side,grain hoppers 4740 and 4750 cu ft,the 4750 cu ft hoppers will be PSCD-2,tank cars 50' and 50' and 60' box cars,60' bulkhead flats,50' and 57' reefers,50' and 52' gondolas.The auto racks will be fully enclosed tri levels and bi levels. A for the Iowa Division there were about 6-8 trains each way until the mid 70's when traffic volumes were down due to deferred maintenance was catching up with the Milwaukee.Then the railroad was down to 2 trains a day no more than 3 from the mid 70's till the end.On December11,1978 the Milwaukee Road went on C&NW rails from Tama,Iowa to Clinton,Iowa due to poor track conditions on the Milwaukee,also C&NW units were required to be the lead locomotive due to the signaling on the C&NW. The C&NW used SD45 at the point and in return the Milwaukee leased SD45's on the Northwestern.On March 23,1980 the last Milwaukee Road train left Perry,Iowa for the last time.The Milwaukee Roda also ran a coal train with the BN on Milwaukee rails,this lasted until Jan,1980,Milwaukee and BN SD40-2's were the common power for these coal trains.SD40-2's did run on the Iowa Division though the common power on the line was GP30's,GP35's,GP40's,SD9's,SD7's SD10's,U boats could be sen on occasion.
the C&NW ran the Iowa Division from Perry,Iowa to Slater,Iowa from the time of the shutdown until the UP took over the C&&NW in 1995.Today only the Bayard,Iowa to Council Bluffs,Iowa section is ran under the BNSF. Steve Church Milwaukee Road Iowa Division
Miles Western,you can click on the state of Iowa on the map and it will show you the Iowa Division route,it ran east-west.

MikeRR

Mar 25, 2005
NEWYORK
hi,i am mike from ny,i seem 2 have a problen on my track i can not get any trains 2 run on that track,i have 2 separate trackd they do not connect in any way 1st i did runs fine,2nd dont run at all i try hooking up 2 power tracks 2 it n nothing all i get is over load on it i try other transformer n same thing over load, the track is lil bit bigger than other.i need some advice on this pls thanks.

Dec 10, 2007
Back to the topic,I am working out the track plan to upload,I will try to post later today.I remember trains on the Iowa Division with SD40-2's in the late 70's to early 1980 right before the shutdown,Also remember when the Milwaukee trains took the C&NW tracks at Tama,Iowa due to poor track conditions,That began on December1,1978 that's when C&NW SD45's were used at the point of Milwaukee Road Trains due to the fact the Milwaukee units were not set up to read the signals on the Northwestern.Trains I saw on the Iowa Division of the Milwaukee Road usually had all types of cars on it like auto racks,piggyback flats,tank cars,box cars,reefers,gondolas,
gondolas,bulkhead flats,cement hoppers,grain hoppers and the bay window cabooses.These trains were fun to watch and it was fun to watch the MP15AC's switch an industry or work the yard classifying cars for different destinations.I miss those times and it was sad that the Iowa Division shutdown,I really miss those trains.This is the main reason I am planning for my future Milwaukee Road Iowa Division layout to re create those times in the 1979 to March23,1980 time frame.The only difference will be the track being rebuilt to 132 pound rail. Steve Church Milwaukee Road Iowa Division

Dec 10, 2007
I am unable to convert the track plan to a pdf or any other format.I have no plans on the bench work,I can send the original plan when Rock Island was going to be part of the layout and now it is not.The plan is double track but one track can be removed and the yard can have 8 tracks and the other yard 6 or 8 tracks. Here is the original plan,it just needs the one track removed to make it a single track mainline and the yards to have 8 tracks in the main yard and 6 in the other yard.The the coach yard can have 6 tracks and the staging yard can have 8 tracks so one yard can be for westbound trains and the other yard for eastbound trains.I like the industries on the plan,also the plan would have to be shrunk a foot on all sides since it is 25'x25' and I am going with 24'x24'.The swing truss drawbridge will still be 364' in scale length or a little over 52" long in HO Scale. The towns with the yards will be renamed Savanna,Illinois and Perry,Iowa. Steve Church Milwaukee Road Iowa Division

Attachments

• sc_trackplan_mod.jpg
    sc_trackplan_mod.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 15

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Steve, I'll see if I can draw up an alternate plan for you soon. Is the benchwork complete?

The last thing you want with the problems you described is a hard to access hatch, they're quite uncomfortable to deal with, no matter how easy they are to get to. wall1

Dec 10, 2007
Miles,Will the layout be accessable.If an oval track plan would it be a moveable section? or u shaped?if u shaped then two of the ends would have to be 6'x6' for the 30" radius curves and have an access hatch to get to the layout.Either way will work.Whatever will be easier.the added industrial spurs will make for a lot of switching,which will make the layout operate like a real railroad.I am thinking of not using the two PK2 GP38-2's,harder to add decoders and stick with 4 SD40-2's and 4 MP15AC's.

Dec 10, 2007
fair enough.,I have started a new Iowa Division memories thread at the Milwaukee yahoo group,22 responses so far since I started it Sunday.I will choose a different theme each week,I am pleased with the responses so far.Hopefully that it will continue as it brings back memories I have of the Iowa Division,and also gives me the opportunity to learn more about the Iowa Division to help me in modeling it.

Dec 10, 2007
I have my searchlight signal and grade crossing signals and the detection systems worked out,I am going with Signalogic for everything.They plan on having everything available this summer or fall.All the signals are to scale.I have attached what they will kind of look like.The pictures are not the actual
product but they will look a lot like these pictures.The "A" frame gate arms will have flashing lights.Also the Iowa Division topic on the Yahoo Milwaukee Group will be about industries on the Iowa Division since I plan on having industries on the layout to switch. Steve Church Milwaukee Road Iowa Division

Attachments

• H-858.jpg
    H-858.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 1160.jpg
    1160.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 104
Dec 10, 2007
Steven,Yes they will work.The gates will go up and down and the searchlight signals will change colors from green to res and then yellow and back to green.The signal system for the block signals and the grade crossing signals will work just like the prototype.ABS or CTC signaling for the block signals and the realistic signaling like a prototypical grade crossing.I attached a photo of some earlier signals that Signalogic had out.One photo has the gate in the upright position and the second photo is with the gate in the lowered position.Circuitron's tortise switch machine is used to activate the gates.

Attachments

• pedgate1.jpg
    pedgate1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 7
  • pedgate3.jpg
    pedgate3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 6
Dec 10, 2007
Steven,about $250.00 for everything.That includes the signals with gates,and all the detection to make them work.The linkage and switch machine is also included.Kevin is his name and he will build any type crossing signal with gate that you want.All the searchlight signals and crossing signals with gates and with out gates and the detection systems should be out this summer or fall.I know some people think it's a high price,but for the time involved and the end result it's worth it.The Signaling Solution's price are not much different and the signals are not to scale like Signalogic's.The Signaling Solution uses Tomar Industries and NJ International signals plus what else is out there.I will keep every one updated on the layout plans.