My Freight Train Pics

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Herc Driver said:
Pardon me for screaming....but....SOMEBODY, PLEASE START MAKING THESE IN NSCALE!!!

Sorry 'bout that. I'm still waiting for my Precision Craft Model PA2 to arrive and hopefully it will be as good looking as those Tower55 models which look great. The Tower55 and BLI products just look great.

Hey, I hear ya, I model N scale now and I would LOVE it if they made some AWSOME locos in N scale too. Imagine that, me having both HO and N scale T55 engines:D :D :D :D :D

Maybe if we all send some e-mails to them saying that it would be a good idea for T55 to make some N scale models and maybe they would consider it?

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
sign1 Oh...that hurts...there's that HO-Jedi mind trick again...trying to convert the Nscalers to the dark side. (Big amounts of kidding here...no feelings hurt. Truth is, HO does have lots more stuff.) :thumb:

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Herc Driver said:
Pardon me for screaming....but....SOMEBODY, PLEASE START MAKING THESE IN NSCALE!!!

Sorry 'bout that. I'm still waiting for my Precision Craft Model PA2 to arrive and hopefully it will be as good looking as those Tower55 models which look great. The Tower55 and BLI products just look great.

Believe me,you should really like your PCM engines.Here's an picture of mine...

tn_Picture102.jpg

And yes HO is better then N anyday...just kidding:wave:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Herc Driver said:
sign1 Oh...that hurts...there's that HO-Jedi mind trick again...trying to convert the Nscalers to the dark side. (Big amounts of kidding here...no feelings hurt. Truth is, HO does have lots more stuff.) :thumb:

O is the real darkside! i can proove it! sign1

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
CRed said:
Believe me,you should really like your PCM engines.Here's an picture of mine...

tn_Picture102.jpg

And yes HO is better then N anyday...just kidding:wave:

Forgive me with this question but how is that better then say a proto 2000?:eek:ops:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
It is! they charge more for it, and so you get what you pay for.

in all seriousness, i've seen these models up close at the NTS, and the PCM stuff just has that much more finer detail as opposed to P2K. the PCMs (correct me if i'm wrong) are made out of alot of diecast metal and stuff. all the components are of the highest quality.

P2k is pretty high in quality to, but its not quite there.

the only thing is, companies like BLI/PCM, and even Tower 55, are nearing marginally better. for most of us, a P2K with sound would probably satisfy as much as the PCM, and would make little difference.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
COMBAT said:
Forgive me with this question but how is that better then say a proto 2000?:eek:ops:
I have no idea,I've never had a Proto2000 engine I can only say that I love the PCM F3's.I saw a Proto2000 PA A/B set on E-bay and it looked really nice,but it had no DCC/Sound.

Of course you could ask that question for any brand of engine,like how is a Tower55 engine better then a Proto2000 engine or an Atlas engine.I guess it all boils down to personal preferance and how much money you want to spend.I paid $225 for the Tower55 engine and $255 for the PCM brand new,not a whole lot more then an DCC/Sound equipped Atlas or Proto200 engines and from personal experience I can say that the LokSound in the PCM engine is superior to the QSI sound in my BLI engines so I assume it's better then the sound in the Atlas and Proto2000 engines which I believe both use QSI.I haven't had a chance to check out the Digitraxx sound in the Tower55 unit,but I've heard good things about it.Other then that I have no on hands experience with the other brands,but they look nice and I'd have no problems getting either if I found a deal on them.

Chris

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
green_elite_cab said:
It is! they charge more for it, and so you get what you pay for.

in all seriousness, i've seen these models up close at the NTS, and the PCM stuff just has that much more finer detail as opposed to P2K. the PCMs (correct me if i'm wrong) are made out of alot of diecast metal and stuff. all the components are of the highest quality.

P2k is pretty high in quality to, but its not quite there.

the only thing is, companies like BLI/PCM, and even Tower 55, are nearing marginally better. for most of us, a P2K with sound would probably satisfy as much as the PCM, and would make little difference.

Also from personal experience,the detail on the Tower55 engine is better then the ones on my BLI engines,not a ton better,but definantly a better.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Thanks for the replys. I have to ask myself, with all this detail am I really going to notice it when I am running my trains? I dont think I am. I am going to notice my DCC, my lights and my sound. I am sure I will notice the big details, but the little stuff..... I just have to ask am I wasting the money?

I want a good solid running engine, sound, lights and some details. I think if one gets carried away then it is simpy to much for most to notice. That is untill you take a picture at 5mb and post it. Then it matters LOL

Am I wrong with this thinking? :)

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
COMBAT said:
Thanks for the replys. I have to ask myself, with all this detail am I really going to notice it when I am running my trains? I dont think I am. I am going to notice my DCC, my lights and my sound. I am sure I will notice the big details, but the little stuff..... I just have to ask am I wasting the money?

I want a good solid running engine, sound, lights and some details. I think if one gets carried away then it is simpy to much for most to notice. That is untill you take a picture at 5mb and post it. Then it matters LOL

Am I wrong with this thinking? :)

I just saw a Proto2000 UP SD60 go for $42 on E-Bay.No DCC/Sound,but still that's a good deal.

I don't know if you'll notice the difference between most of that,but you will the sound.I know I can really tell the difference between QSI and LokSound.

I paid $225 for my Tower55 engine and most Proto2000's or Athearn Genisis with DCC/Sound are not that much cheaper then that,around $180 or so so the extra $40-50 was worth it to me.The main reason I bought it is because it's an Northern Pacific engine,I liked the idea of an ultra modern engine in one of my favorite roads that has been defunct now for 35 years.No one else has one and it's hard to find a decent loco in the NP scheme period so I jumped on it.

Anyways,you can probably find a deal on a Proto2000 on E-Bay and save some money over the Tower55 engines.If I saw a Proto2000 engine I wanted with DCC/Sound for a good deal I'd get it.

CNWman:I don't think they make them anymore,but I'm not sure.I know you can still find certain models online and they show up on E-Bay every now and then.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I have been buying Athearn stuff and the sound that is qsi sounds great to me. I also can edit the bell, whistle, ect. I only have one right now with sound sooooo. :) I am not an expert.
I did get a xmas present order for a Soundtrax decoder with sound for my avitar engine. Its still on order. :(

I will wait and see if there is a difference between them when I have both here at the house. I have heard a Lok Sound and QSI, I couldnt tell a difference. :)

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
COMBAT said:
I have been buying Athearn stuff and the sound that is qsi sounds great to me. I also can edit the bell, whistle, ect. I only have one right now with sound sooooo. :) I am not an expert.
I did get a xmas present order for a Soundtrax decoder with sound for my avitar engine. Its still on order. :(

I will wait and see if there is a difference between them when I have both here at the house. I have heard a Lok Sound and QSI, I couldnt tell a difference. :)

I thought QSI sounded good also,but I really could tell the difference between QSI and LokSound,it has more depth to me.Overall not a huge difference,but it's there for me.

Athearn Genisis engines sure are nice and I almost bought one,but I got the PCM F3's for the same price so I chose them.

If you already have a good sound decoder just buy a Genisis or Proto2000 and slap that baby in there when you get it and save alot of money.I see deals for the non-sound equipped engines all the time.Even the Athearn RTR engines look nice,I'm thinking of getting a DM&IR SD45T-2/early and putting a good decoder in it.

Chris

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I like my genesis engines. They both look great. :) I am happy with the detail, the look through fans and the one that has sound is great! :) They run smooth as glass and thats on really dirty track. I am happy with it. I guess thats all that matters. Your stuff look good. BTW, got any more shots of it? Thxs! :)

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
COMBAT said:
I like my genesis engines. They both look great. :) I am happy with the detail, the look through fans and the one that has sound is great! :) They run smooth as glass and thats on really dirty track. I am happy with it. I guess thats all that matters. Your stuff look good. BTW, got any more shots of it? Thxs! :)

Yeah they sure are nice,and I wouldn't buy PCM over them just because of the sound if it was cheaper,which they usually are.I picked PCM because it was the same price so I figured I couldn't go wrong either way.

As mentioned before I picked the Tower55 unit because it had the NP scheme which is hard to find on a decent engine period.If they didn't have that I would have saved some money and got a BNSF Atlas Master/Gold series engine.

I can take more pictures if you like.What do you want to see more of,both the F3's and the NP?I have two BLI engines also,a C&NW E7 and a DM&IR RSD-15,I like both of them quite a bit also.

Chris

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Well, if your willing I want to see that tower 55, and the PCM. I am looking at the details and over all quality in the paint scheme and handrails ect. Be creative, you know what you like about each so please show em off! :) And, THANKS!

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Ah spoot,the batteries for my camera are dead so I'll have to wait until tomorrow for the pictures.They look better when there's more light anyways.

I can tell you one thing I really like about the Tower55 engine,the brass details like the grab irons,handrails and such.They are not nearly as delicate as the ones on my BLI DM&IR,the ones on that engine are falling apart already just from careful handling and I've hardly had a chance to play with it.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow of the engines and either post them here or if you want me to send them to you I can do that also.And no problem,I don't mind showing them off one bit.

Chris