My first structure

FrankG

This is my first completed -- well almost completed -- structure in N scale.

This will be "planted" into the layout so you won't see the bare gray plastic along the bottom. Also, I'll be adding a view-block, lighting it and adding some additional misc. detail.

Any suggestions or feedback would be great. Keep in mind that the front door is shorter than a dime in height.

Attachments

• JPRisley-Front.jpg
    JPRisley-Front.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 279
  • JPRisley-Side.jpg
    JPRisley-Side.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 275
  • JPRisley-Back.jpg
    JPRisley-Back.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 281
  • JPRisley-BackCorner.jpg
    JPRisley-BackCorner.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 268

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
It looks great!

One thing I would add is window glazing. It does not appear that your windows have any "glass"in them. I have used thin clear styrene in the past.

I can't tell from the pictures but is there mortar between the bricks?

jkristia

I think it's a great looking building, and one you can be proud of, congratulation. As Tom mentioned, it looks like you need glass in your windows. It seems like you have done a little bit of weathering on the walls and on the roof at the sign, but I think it could need some more, add more weathering on the doors, maybe make the lower part of the walls look more dirty, but besides from that it's a great looking building

Jesper

FrankG

Thanks for the comments.

There is window glazing...which looks great in person, but for some reason, it didn't show up in the photos. Must have been the flash on the digital cam.

I agree with the weathering comments. I think I'm going to add additional weathering as I add some last-minute details.

And...there is no mortar between the bricks. I've tried a number of different methods and don't like the results on this particular building. The brick is molded with a very distinct pattern -- it's a bad mold and there is a repeating patterns where one row of bricks is wider than the rest. That repeats every 1/4 - 1/2" or so and adding mortar highlights that and makes the building look striped.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
I had an HO like that - the more you detailed certain things - the worse it looked (bad mold) :( But this looks great - Cant wait to see it after you get the weathering added :) :) Nice Stuff!!!!!

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Nice building Frank. I am sure it will be a busy spot for your railroad. What will it produce?

Lighthorseman

I Like It!

That's a beautifully done building, Frank! :thumb: I sure hope you'll post a picture or six when it has a place on your layout.