My first Paper Model

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by Inventor, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Inventor

Inventor New Member

Greetings to all,

I have been reading this forum for some time now. I finally got up enough nerve to try a paper model. I have no previous experience at this craft. I have chosen the free model Kerax 400 8 x 4 truck available from paper-replika.com. I saw it on another post and found the website. I was all gung ho to get going this evening and found that my printer would not print the bottom 1/2 inch of the pdf file...no.. I want to get started..lol.. I spent over an hr on live chat with an HP support technician, Whew he had me load an alternate driver and ..Voila it prints. including the bottom half inch. I would very much like to put put some pictures with this post if I can figure out an easy way to do it.. I have a few basic tools gathered up and look forward to starting but I spent so much time getting the pdf to print I have to put things on hold.. In the mean time I am going to try to figure out how to add pictures to posts.. any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Well i hope this picture worked. It is the page 2 of the PDF file.

Attached Files:

2. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Good work getting your printer working! I like paper-replika.com models. I've made a few. And Jules is always ready to help if you have questions or issues with the model. Good luck and let us see how it comes out.
  3. McCoy

McCoy Member

tos diorama...

here's my first paper model... if any1 can upgrade my blueprint please do so... i'll be more than pleased :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Inventor

Inventor New Member

Well here I go.. Printer problem solved a page printed ... what to do next.. I remember .. cut the part away from the sheet..

Attached Files:

5. Inventor

Inventor New Member

I read along the way somewhere to score before I trim...One fold is opposite the others so I poked a hole through both ends and flipped over the part to score it...

Attached Files:

6. Inventor

Inventor New Member

With the score lines complete I trim the part using a straightedge.. I'm on my way now... Part 1 is nearly done...or so I thought.....

Attached Files:

7. Inventor

Inventor New Member

Oh my, this is where the newbie part really starts to hit... Where do I glue first?.. I hold and fold and hold and fold and look and study and scratch my head and smoke a cigarette and puzzle a bit more. Two things become rapidly evident .. First my part looks a bit different than the picture in the instructions,, a black line across the top of the cab..hmm I decided to score that line and cut notches in the tab so it will bend with the score.. second I realize that I have to start gluing somewhere,, I decided to start with the windshield line, since this would be the most viewed part of the model.. flaws to the back please..I took my time and did the windshield first then the top, then the bottom. If I were to do this again I would cut the part a bit differently, namely the small V shapes along both sides of the windshield. But it looks okay to me for my first go at this.

Attached Files:

8. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Very inventive

You're off to a good start Inventor. At least you haven't lost your sense of humour (yet?). Keep up the good work, and keep posting those comments. I look forward to following an entertaining and educational build.

Steve
  9. Inventor

Inventor New Member

Thank you for the encouragement... The second part .. the bumper..I thought I would knock it right out..haha... I botched the fist try and have to print the part out again. I hope every part doesn't fight like the bumper.. so many folds.. I managed to somehow tear a tiny corner as I was cutting it out. I have been rethinking my strategy on this part. Hopefully I can find a few hours in the near future to have another go at it..I cannot begin to imagine the patience required for some of the builds I have seen on this site. If I need to learn anything first.. that is it.. PATIENCE.. It has become obvious to me now that every part is a model in itself.. I begin to realize and fear.. WHat if I get 3/4 ths of the way and something doesn't fit?....so.. I think I should not just start putting th parts together until I have a subassembly ready.. Is that sound thinking?
  10. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

You got it.

Hey Inventor,

You're on the right track. The main things are to follow the directions (assuming there is any) and to test-fit things as you go along. One of the great things about card modeling you've already discovered - if you make a mess of a part you can always print another one and make it again.

And, if you ever get 3/4th's of the way through a model and something doesn't fit right, stick it in place as best you can, carry on and call it a learning experience. You may not be 100% happy with the end result, but 95% happy still feels pretty darn good. I've lost count of how many models I've done, and I've often found that I'm not really satisfied with a build as it goes along, but when it's finally finished I sit back and have a look, and it looks great, and overall I'm happy with it.

Looking forward to more pictures,

SJ
  11. Inventor

Inventor New Member

Well... attempt 2 didn't go so well either....the rear part of the piece ripped... so I am on attempt number three. This time I think I am going to cut off all of the tabs.. One side has them the other side doesn't.. I may try to cut it up in to sections as well. I am frustrated and it's only the second part..So i walked away for a couple days to regather a little enthusiasm.. I hope this attempt succeeds.. I can build the first part 2 more times and pick the best result now...
  12. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Even if you make a mistake or ruin a piece while forming it, post some pictures. Maybe someone has a suggestion to help[.

The cab looks great. Keep posting!
  13. Inventor

Inventor New Member

Okay...pictures it is..here is attempt number one .. the whole she-bang. I cut the piece out as it was on the sheet.

Attached Files:

14. Inventor

Inventor New Member

This is attempt number 2. Everything looks good in the front but when I tried to fit the back it didn't work out so good... so on to number 3

Attached Files:

15. Inventor

Inventor New Member

Attempt number 3... I cut the piece up a little to make it more managable for me. I also cut off all of the tabs.

Attached Files:

16. Inventor

Inventor New Member

I had to get creative here. When I started fitting the healamp section the pieces were too wide to match up with everything else.. I trimmed them a bit to line things up a little better, However I am satisfied with the part for now and I've decided to call this good enough and come back and try again ...hoping my skill improves as the model moves forward, A huge thank you to my daughter who loaned me a square charcoal stick to soften the white lines,

Attached Files:

17. Inventor

Inventor New Member

Well,, After deciding to continue with the build I figured I would just throw the boxes in the sides of the bumper.. after all I have already decided to come back to this part in the future and these 2 box thingys are the end of this sub assembly. I decided just to do it. not to agonize over precision.
    I scored and cut out the part and was immediately amazed at how well it fit in the opening. It stuck out a bit around the edges so I decided just to try and glue it and trim it. following are the photos as I progressed. The end result..? well as I said I may redo this piece but want to see it once a few more parts are done.

Attached Files:

18. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Inventor, one thing to keep in mind when you get frustrated ... for your very first effort you are tackling a somewhat difficult model. That bumper part you were struggling with is a rather complex part.

Your skills will improve quickly. I'm so surprised how much faster and more accurately I cut, fold and glue now, compared with when I started. As you gain experience, you will also discover exactly which techniques, tools and materials work best for your style and the models you want to build.

So ... if you hit another wall, maybe consider stepping back, doing a simpler model or two, and then returning to this one. That would be far better than abandoning the hobby out of frustration. That would be a shame, because you are off to such a great start, it seems card modeling is a good fit for you.

Good luck and carry on! :)
  19. Inventor

Inventor New Member

Yes, I understand ..!! I find a great deal of enjoyment even with the struggling.. That is why I've decided to just carry on.. From what I can see there is no harm in jumping ahead or doing easier parts first. I just was trying to follow in numerical order.. I look at build threads on here and stare in wonder.. Such precision in the builds and such small parts that look perfect. I do not expect that from myself yet, I am far from giving up the hobby. I appreciate all the comments. I am also trying to mention the things that I find difficult so that all you senior guys can either remember and chuckle, or pass on wisdom and encouragement as all have done.. I plan to continue with this model. Just to try and finish it. How it looks? we will all see together.
  20. CapeCodSteam

CapeCodSteam New Member

Inventor,

I grew up on paper model castles, lots of fun. You picked an intricate first attempt, take lots of breaks. Look forward to seeing progress.

Kent