My First Layout (R&R Rail)...

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Ok so this is the material i squanderred out of the Jobsites i install stairs in. Usually it is scrap bits swept into a corner but turns out to be totally sufficiant for train benchwork.

The pic below (Made with sketchup) Shows the design i am sticking with. I Don't have DCC but am going to wire for it from the start. 90% of all the structures and landscape will be scratch work (thatnks to the great scrap i work around).

I'll keep you posted with all my buildings i have started and am starting on.

R&R Rail Co.
Ron & Rene Pare

Attachments

• Layout_Base.jpg
    Layout_Base.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 552

Russ Bellinis

If you run dc and want to run multiple trains, you will need to put isolated blocks into the layout and have a throttle for each train you want to run. I noticed the table on the right side is 4 feet deep. If it is against a wall, it may be difficult to reach the back of the layout. If it isn't against a wall, you could actually get a larger layout in the same space by extending it over against the wall and making the benchwork slight narrower, say 30 inches or so.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Russ Bellinis said:
If you run dc and want to run multiple trains, you will need to put isolated blocks into the layout and have a throttle for each train you want to run. I noticed the table on the right side is 4 feet deep. If it is against a wall, it may be difficult to reach the back of the layout. If it isn't against a wall, you could actually get a larger layout in the same space by extending it over against the wall and making the benchwork slight narrower, say 30 inches or so.
The only wally is located on the 2' wide side. A tressle and steep mountain backdrop are planned for the back there so it should push the mainline trains forward to the side i need them.

Attachments

• Layout_plan_2.jpg
    Layout_plan_2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 496
  • mountain.jpg
    mountain.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 481

RonP

Member of the WMRC
I want to wire for DCC from the start, Am i on the right start ?

the bus line is 14/2 wire that will connect each section of benchwork (made for the move next year)

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 501

Buddog

RonP said:
I want to wire for DCC from the start, Am i on the right start ?

the bus line is 14/2 wire that will connect each section of benchwork (made for the move next year)

That will work you can run feeder lines off that bus to the tracks above, but remeber that in DC you can't run more then one locomotive unless you isolate the tracks...

What era are you planning to run?

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Era: pre 60's
Logging / sawmil / Wood type builders (stair, furniture, Carpenter)

Lots of trees, 2 farms with cash crop and animals. 1 or 2 towns

Buddog

So it's going to be all steam? Shay's for the logging? I saw my first full size operational Shay this past summer in Ottawa at the museum of Science and Technology really cool.

You may want to really look at where you are going to have your sections connect, see if your going to have to many problems (Connecting / disconnecting), I am also building in sections that can be taken apart I'm finding curves, tunnels scenery in general is going to be difficult to cut in half and still get the same effect.

Tom

NYNH&H

For a layout that size, you shouldn't need more than 18 gauge lamp wire, or whatever else you have laying around that is 18 gauge or thicker. Speaker wire is good also, as long as it is 18 gauge. Then use 22 gauge feeders. You can still use terminal strips for easy disassembly. If you are going to have more than one operator, you will want to have some sort of short protection and power districts, probably using 1156 taillight builbs. See Joe Fugate's site and wiringfordcc.com for more info on this. If you run with DC, you can only have one loco on the layout at a time.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
NYNH&H said:
For a layout that size, you shouldn't need more than 18 gauge lamp wire, or whatever else you have laying around that is 18 gauge or thicker. Speaker wire is good also, as long as it is 18 gauge. Then use 22 gauge feeders. You can still use terminal strips for easy disassembly. If you are going to have more than one operator, you will want to have some sort of short protection and power districts, probably using 1156 taillight builbs. See Joe Fugate's site and wiringfordcc.com for more info on this. If you run with DC, you can only have one loco on the layout at a time.

I am aiming for only one operator. But i am intending to go nutty with the led's.
One line will stay seperate for my son and DC

Buddog said:
So it's going to be all steam? Shay's for the logging? I saw my first full size operational Shay this past summer in Ottawa at the museum of Science and Technology really cool.
You may want to really look at where you are going to have your sections connect, see if your going to have to many problems (Connecting / disconnecting), I am also building in sections that can be taken apart I'm finding curves, tunnels scenery in general is going to be difficult to cut in half and still get the same effect.
Tom

Going for steam yes i don't want to be tied down by accurate details this empires aim is to just look kool.

My sections are going to be aimed at easy seperation. Hopefully ill find my camera cable so i can add the pics here.

NYNH&H

DO NOT mix DC and DCC, as if a loco goes over the gap, then you can fry decoders. If you want to run an older loco without DCC, just throw a decoder in it, and you should be good to go.

Russ Bellinis

You can mix dc with dcc as long as the tracks running on dc never touch the tracks running dcc. There isn't a problem as long as the two types of control don't get in contact.

LoudMusic

Wow! Somebody else using Sketchup for layout design - that's pretty cool :) You can see my work over here: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=22290

I would suggest using XTrkCAD for the track layout, though. It'll help you with things like gradients and radii.

About your layout, I'd say it's a good start. The more you play with it the more it will change. You'll see that in my thread.

Glen Haasdyk

I'm in the same boat as you I supose. I can't afford Dcc yet but as I wires all the blocks in my DC layout I made it so the switch to DCC will be fairly easy, I wired all blocks seprately with both positive and negative wires running to each block and 18 guage wire was used.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Russ Bellinis said:
You can mix dc with dcc as long as the tracks running on dc never touch the tracks running dcc. There isn't a problem as long as the two types of control don't get in contact.

the tracks run side by side just one is DC it is a short run and won't interfeer or crossover the DCC

NYNH&H

I would recommend skipping the DC, as you are limiting the flexibility of your operation by having two separate layouts that cannot interchange anything. Decoders are cheap. ($15)

RonP

Member of the WMRC
The base benchwork is in the works right now the first module is progressing very well with track ready to set tomorrow.

I am redesigninh tje track plan a bit changing up my Yard to fit in to what i have in mind for expension.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Here is the latest track update. I still havent found my camera cable so no pis yet of the benchwork.

Attachments

• Layout_Base_2.jpg
    Layout_Base_2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 77

NYNH&H

Good start. Might want to add some more turnouts and siding and whatnot if the budget allows, as that would add more switching/ operational interest.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
I've cut down on th benchwork as i am moving in 6 months.

this the new design and feeder plan. how does it look

fear not i have all the benchwork made for a full 10' layout this redesign is for conveniance of moving.

Attachments

• Layout_temp_wire.jpg
    Layout_temp_wire.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 55