my first heavy weathering warning BAD PICS

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
hey yall,i bought some oils brushes acrylic and chalks and decided to try and HEAVILY weather some cars cause,lets face it i have othing better to do! :mrgreen:.so heere they are.first up is a bowser 3 bay hopper C&O that was made EXTREMELY rusty.it will be an ash car for my servicing area since they only used the crappiest for that job.oh yaeah and dont pay attention to the stand in trucks :p i just had them on to run it.
MyPictures0005.jpg

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
alright,i just took a good look at my pics and il wait to post more since these are horrible.i think its just the camera....:mrgreen:.--josh

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Josh:wav: , its real hard to tell from the pic:frowns: , but from what i can see, it DOES really look well used:winki: . i hate to comment to much on it without seeing better pics of it though. i DO give you 100 "at a boys" though for taking the first step and actually doing some weathering:thumb: , many are just to scarred to attempt it. you have made it over the first hurdle, CONGRATULATIONS!:thumb::mrgreen:
:deano: -Deano

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i attepted some steam weathering on my bachmann 2-8-0 and i hope my pics can do it justice,although the calcium deposits appear too bright.
mytrains025.jpg

mytrains026.jpg

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
The steamer looks good from what I can see. One way to tone down the stark white of the calcium deposits is a thin overspray of the engine color over it all. I've heard this will blend the weathering elements together.

You might get better pictures if you pose the item in front of a flat white backdrop. It looks like your camera is trying to focus on other things than you models as well as the glare coming off your shiny table!

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Hey Josh,
About those pics I notice you are putting the camera down to take them now. This is a good idea as the shutter speed of your camera with the flash off is to slow to get a good pic in hand. Those table top tri-pods are only like $20 that will improve things drastically. I was blown away with the transformation after I got one.

Oh yeah good job...

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
thanks for the compliments guys,and ill try to tone down those calcium deposits.
ronp-ill try and find a small tri pod and i have some foam core board i can make a white backdrop from.thanks for the compliments and tips guys.this was my first weathering on an engine,let alone on a steamer :eek:,but i think it turned out OK for my tastes.--josh

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Ok,

First, the Steamdome water buildup looks like paint (which it is) not mineral buildup. It's all too gloppy and much too heavy and opaque.

DRYBRUSHING is the name of this game.

Your rust needs some more color variation, and needs a more pitted/streaky look to it.

The rest of it looks faily good, make sure to put a SMALL amount of gloss black on your journal boxes, and siderod pins.

Look here for more inspiration. This shows an engine near the end of it's life in the mid 1950's. The Water buildup on the dome was done with a waterwash of bragdon enterprises weathering powder.
MV&P’s 4-4-0 #96 « Interacting with Miniature Railroading.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
You're braver than I am! My first attempt weathering a locomotive involved a $12 life-like 0-4-0t.

Perhaps you should try a few pictures outdoors with the 2-8-0...it is a kind of tough to give you some meaningful constructive criticism with the lighting effects.