My first catalog house

scottcn

Jul 8, 2006
coastal SC
The Linnards and Fluffy visited the building site of their new home today. They were quite impressed by the progress my crew made. When they left Mr Linnard stepped into something soft :mrgreen:.

finley17.jpg

Before the Linnards move in, they may want to have a tree trimmer pay them a visit. There seems to be a large branch that isn't attached to the tree trunk ... and that can't be a good thing. At least they shouldn't let Fluffy out to "water the tree" on a windy day. :)

Otherwise, the house is looking great! :thumb:

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
COX 47, Scott, thank you for your nice comments.

Scott, you are right, this tree shows some "wear". It has been used for a lot of building sites and it will be replaced before the Linnards move in. So no risk for Fluffy ..:mrgreen:

I could not work on the house the last few days, but I hope to get something done tomorrow …

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
It took a bit longer before I could work on this house again, too much on the honey-do list...

To cut down costs of this project and not to be dependent on sizes available I decided to do my own windows and doors for the house. It wasn’t such a good idea, I must admit. Cutting those tiny parts wasn’t much fun and took very long. Next time I’ll use some windows from Tichy Trains. Anyway, I cut the windows out of .020" (trim, doors) and .013" styrene (window frames). I glued the parts together and added glazing (transparency film) before I inserted them into the walls.

finley20.jpg

The roofing material is sanding paper. The lot for my house is on the wrong side of town, so I scraped off some paint to give it a more neglected look. I haven’t decided yet if I want to add railings to the porch and my wife wants to do some "interior design", but for the moment, that’s it.

finley21.jpg

finley22.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
A great job, Kurt, as usual! I was surprised (dunno why :rolleyes:) to see that you built your own windows, but they turned out really well. That was one aspect of scratchbuilding that I never enjoyed, but then, mine never came out as nice as yours did. ;)

Wayne

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Just GREAT...!!! Kurt. :thumb:
Your building skills never cease to amaze me..!! :shock:
They've also inspired me to do better work anytime I tackle a building project (not often enough, sad to say...). :sad:

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Josh, Wayno, Gus, thank you for your kind comments.

Wayne, building my own windows wasn’t such a good idea, as I didn’t enjoy it either. I will only ever do it again if I only need 2 or 3 windows and I don’t have any suitable windows available, but I won’t do it again if I need 14 windows ... :cry:

They've also inspired me to do better work anytime I tackle a building project
Gus, you make me blush
(not often enough, sad to say...)
that’s right, I’d love to see more awesome structures like the one you did for the kit building challenge :wave:

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Great work Kurt!

I made my own windows...once. I actually used stripwood from a Campbell N Scale trestle kit. (probably not the cheapest source of stripwood, but it was handy and I had long abandoned N by that time...) There were only 4 windows to build and they are rudimentary at best, but it was good experience.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Outstanding Job Kurt!!!

Kurt:wav: , the scratch build is a SLAP STUPENDOUS JOB!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: , the weathering is just SLAP FANTASTIC!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: .
:bravo: , Kurt, :bravo: :mrgreen:
:deano: -Deano

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Lynn, Galen, Deano, thank you :wave:.

Galen, that’s the best you can say about building windows: a good experience :mrgreen:.

Lynn, Deano, I wouldn’t call it weathering :eek:ops:, I just scraped off some paint with my scalpel ;)

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
WOW!!!!!!!
I just now have seen this:eek:

Kurt, first of all, the final product is absolutely,flat-out awesome!!!!!

But most of all I would like to thank you for the great step-by-step. I almost feel like I could make one after watching you.....:winker:

I think we are going to have to put all your tutorials in one place hint...hint