My first catalog house

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by cnw1961, Aug 17, 2007.

1. COX 47

COX 47 Member

Great job....can't wait to see finished house!.....Cox 47
  2. scottcn

scottcn Member

Before the Linnards move in, they may want to have a tree trimmer pay them a visit. There seems to be a large branch that isn't attached to the tree trunk ... and that can't be a good thing. At least they shouldn't let Fluffy out to "water the tree" on a windy day. :)

Otherwise, the house is looking great! :thumb:
  3. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

COX 47, Scott, thank you for your nice comments.

Scott, you are right, this tree shows some "wear". It has been used for a lot of building sites and it will be replaced before the Linnards move in. So no risk for Fluffy ..:mrgreen:

I could not work on the house the last few days, but I hope to get something done tomorrow …
  4. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

It took a bit longer before I could work on this house again, too much on the honey-do list...

To cut down costs of this project and not to be dependent on sizes available I decided to do my own windows and doors for the house. It wasn’t such a good idea, I must admit. Cutting those tiny parts wasn’t much fun and took very long. Next time I’ll use some windows from Tichy Trains. Anyway, I cut the windows out of .020" (trim, doors) and .013" styrene (window frames). I glued the parts together and added glazing (transparency film) before I inserted them into the walls.

[​IMG]

The roofing material is sanding paper. The lot for my house is on the wrong side of town, so I scraped off some paint to give it a more neglected look. I haven’t decided yet if I want to add railings to the porch and my wife wants to do some "interior design", but for the moment, that’s it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

WOW,thats amazing Kurt! all i can say is wow,i could never get that quality scratchbuilding anything!--josh
  6. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

A great job, Kurt, as usual! I was surprised (dunno why :rolleyes:) to see that you built your own windows, but they turned out really well. That was one aspect of scratchbuilding that I never enjoyed, but then, mine never came out as nice as yours did. ;)

Wayne
  7. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Just GREAT...!!! Kurt. :thumb:
    Your building skills never cease to amaze me..!! :shock:
    They've also inspired me to do better work anytime I tackle a building project (not often enough, sad to say...). :sad:
  8. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Josh, Wayno, Gus, thank you for your kind comments.

Wayne, building my own windows wasn’t such a good idea, as I didn’t enjoy it either. I will only ever do it again if I only need 2 or 3 windows and I don’t have any suitable windows available, but I won’t do it again if I need 14 windows ... :cry:

Gus, you make me blush
    that’s right, I’d love to see more awesome structures like the one you did for the kit building challenge :wave:
  9. wickman

wickman Member

Great work I'm enyoying the step by step , keep up the great work , I can't wait to see how the weathering goes :wave:
  10. ocalicreek

ocalicreek Member

Great work Kurt!

I made my own windows...once. I actually used stripwood from a Campbell N Scale trestle kit. (probably not the cheapest source of stripwood, but it was handy and I had long abandoned N by that time...) There were only 4 windows to build and they are rudimentary at best, but it was good experience.
  11. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Outstanding Job Kurt!!!

Kurt:wav: , the scratch build is a SLAP STUPENDOUS JOB!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: , the weathering is just SLAP FANTASTIC!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: .
    :bravo: , Kurt, :bravo: :mrgreen:
    :deano: -Deano
  12. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Lynn, Galen, Deano, thank you :wave:.

Galen, that’s the best you can say about building windows: a good experience :mrgreen:.

Lynn, Deano, I wouldn’t call it weathering :oops:, I just scraped off some paint with my scalpel ;)
  13. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

WOW!!!!!!!
    I just now have seen this:eek:

Kurt, first of all, the final product is absolutely,flat-out awesome!!!!!

But most of all I would like to thank you for the great step-by-step. I almost feel like I could make one after watching you.....:winker:

I think we are going to have to put all your tutorials in one place hint...hint
  14. modelsof1900

modelsof1900 Member

A very ordinary building, but a great job and a extra fine result! Nice to see such fine handcrafted models.

Congratulation, Kurt !!!!

Bernhard