My first bash !!!

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Hi !!!

This weekend I've kitbashed for the first time ! I gotta say I'm pretty proud of the results ...

Due to space restriction, the AxD R7R company had to fit two structures on the same spot: a bridge and a diesel washing and maintenance platform. The result is what I called the maintenance bridge:

Attachments

• dsc00001.jpg
    dsc00001.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 250

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Took me several hours to get to this point ! I know many of you guys can build a dozen of thoses while watching TV and still have a hand free for the remote or the beer ... but as it's my first kit I'm impressed with what it became !

Here's another shot:

Attachments

• dsc00006.jpg
    dsc00006.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 217

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
And in the background you can see a typical walthers diesel facility i just painted. I like it too...

Just after that is gonna be a signle or double track engine shed. Any suggestions ? I've looked on the net and the only one I found is model powers and seems okay ... but any suggestions are appreciated !

Attachments

• dsc00009.jpg
    dsc00009.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 221

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Alex, you have good reason to be impressed, it's impressive ;) very resorcefull to combine the two. I like it. :p :cool: :) :D :rolleyes: :D

Hope you're modeling pre-70's or you'll catch hell as soon as one of the little plastic workers falls in the river, then they'll sue yer pants off. At least ya got the yellow rail up.

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Originally posted by jon-monon
you'll catch hell as soon as one of the little plastic workers falls in the river, then they'll sue yer pants off. At least ya got the yellow rail up.

ROTFLMAO !!!!!

jon you gave me a great laugh on this one !!!

But don't worry, I've tested them: they float !

Oh no ! Look at this worker, you've given him a bad idea and he's gonna jump ... NO !!!

Attachments

• dsc00014.jpg
    dsc00014.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 222

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
It's always neat to see all the ingenious ways modelers make use of restricted spaces!
That's a very interesting facility, Alex! It should make for a great little point of interest on your layout!

As for an engine house, I think you should apply the same philosophy that you've done with your "maintainence bridge".
Remember, it doesn't have to say "engine house" on the box, in order to become one!
Try the Model Power kits...While they may be a tad cheezy if just slapped together right out of the box, they can also provide you with the materials, that with a little imagination, & a little "plastic surgery", you can use to come up with a creation that's unique to your RR!

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Originally posted by Charlie
It's always neat to see all the ingenious ways modelers make use of restricted spaces!
That's a very interesting facility, Alex! It should make for a great little point of interest on your layout!

Thanks Jon & Charlie for your very kind words ! That's what I love about The Gauge: People are very helpful and very kind... if I had posted the same thread on rec.models.railroad I would probably have been flamed for being not prototypical or such.

I love this place, long live The Gauge !!!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Very nice work indeed Alex, like to see the finished scenery also.
Shamus
wink.gif

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Originally posted by alex_mrrkb

Thanks Jon & Charlie for your very kind words ! That's what I love about The Gauge: People are very helpful and very kind... if I had posted the same thread on rec.models.railroad I would probably have been flamed for being not prototypical or such.

I think most of us get more out of the gauge than we put in. Perhaps even Shamus and the other professional grade modelers do too, in the form of entertainment and feeling good about helping others. I sure feel good when I can help a little or make someone smile. trouble is, usually when I try to help someone crazy glues their eyeballs shut or something... Luckliy, here on the gauge, we have peer review, which keeps me out of trouble :D :D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Originally posted by Charlie

Remember, it doesn't have to say "engine house" on the box, in order to become one!

I think by the time we "graduate" here, out kits will say "captain crunch" on the box and the instructions will say:

1. eat content of box, or otherwise dispose of.

2. make awesome structure.

3. paint as desired and/or cover with wood or other suitable material.

:D :D :D

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with kits. With their prices so high for larger structures, I see the good captain in my future as a part of my balanced diet.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by jon-monon

I think by the time we "graduate" here, out kits will say "captain crunch" on the box

My engine house says "Cheerios" on the inside and el-cheapo photocopy of scale drawings on the outside. Is that ok?

The problem with this approach is that if you do a good enough job, you won't want to get the kit after all... Wait... is that a problem?

Andrew

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by alex_mrrkb

Weeelll...now that you mention it Alex, I was going to point out that you've only got 14 rivets on the vertical seam of that plate girder, when everyone knows there should be 17!!:rolleyes:
Sorry...couldn't resist that!:D :D :D :D
Seriously,
Glad you've found a home with us here...this is my #1 favorite spot on the web!!
Hey, keep us posted on that layout, ok?