My first attempt at a layout.

Tim H

This will be my first real layout. I have been kicking around designs for a month or so now. I would like to do an HO scale layout with passenger service as the main focus. I will be using Union Pacific with some Missouri Pacific thrown in from time to time. I want to use the Walthers Union Station as the main feature of the layout. With my space limitations, I think a back-in station is more feasible than a pass-thru station. I would like the time period to be anywhere from the 50’s to present day with a mixture of locomotives and cars to reflect the era that I want to run at a given time. I may even base my layout in present day with older excursion passenger trains. I want to have two continuous running main lines, one passenger and one freight moving in opposite directions. I would also like to have some light industry that will involve some switching. My hobby workshop/office is in the adjoining room and I plan to run track through the wall for staging and storage. I need to keep a 36” minimum aisle leading to the steps for access to the rest of the basement. I also plan to use DCC to control the layout

The layout I have started uses 30” curves for all areas that the passenger cars will travel. My layout isn’t going to be based on any prototypical route. To give you an idea of how the trains are running in my design, at the top of the layout, the top track is freight that will run counter-clockwise, the middle track is passenger and will run clockwise and the bottom track is the staging track and will be used in both directions by both freight and passenger. The freight train will run through the mountain to the right and the passenger will have the scenic route that includes some kind of bridge with waterfall or another type of scenic feature.

I am open to any suggestion or comments on what I have started so far. I am also willing to scrap everything I have if someone comes up with a better layout.

Thanks for looking,

Tim

Click Thumbnails for larger picture:

SteveD

Hello Tim, the layout looks great :) With radi that big you can pretty much run anything.

What is the minimum distance you have allowed between tracks?

Steve

Tim H

SteveD said:
Hello Tim, the layout looks great :) With radi that big you can pretty much run anything.

What is the minimum distance you have allowed between tracks?

Steve

Hi Steve, I have a 2" centerline spacing for all the parallel tracks at the same elevation. For parallel tracks at different elevations, I made the centerline space 3" to make room for a retaining wall.

Pooh Bah
Hi Tim. Interesting arrangement. Is there room for the station in that little alcove under the stairs? you could then (possibly) have a wye attachment to the continuous run.

Tim H

60103 said:
Hi Tim. Interesting arrangement. Is there room for the station in that little alcove under the stairs? you could then (possibly) have a wye attachment to the continuous run.

I thought about doing that, but the station tracks would be even shorter than they already are.

Herc Driver

Nice layout...should make for some long passenger hookups. I'd only make one cosmetic suggestion: round all the corners on the layout benchwork. I know this seems small, but I've found on my train board, the kids are constantly hitting the corners or getting them caught on clothes (ok...me too). Secondly, I'd consider increasing the distance from the stairs landing to the benchwork to allow better access up and down the stairs. It looks to me roughly 4.5' from the last stair to the benchwork? If someone takes that turn wide or is carrying something large, you might want more distance to negotiate that turn up the stairs. Overall - I think it's a nice plan. Good job with the software laying it out too.

Hey - O'Fallon! I used to live in St Charles.

2-8-2

I'm by no means a layout guru, so forgive me if I don't make any sense...

1) I don't see a liftout section. How are you going to get into the middle of the layout?

2) If the outer trackage is for freight, running counter-clockwise, it looks like it would be difficult to get into the industrial area in front of the stairs. Also, I think you could fit a lot more switching action in that industrial space.

Triplex

For parallel tracks at different elevations, I made the centerline space 3" to make room for a retaining wall.
At last, someone who remembers to leave room for vertical scenery!
To give you an idea of how the trains are running in my design, at the top of the layout, the top track is freight that will run counter-clockwise, the middle track is passenger and will run clockwise and the bottom track is the staging track and will be used in both directions by both freight and passenger.
You know, that's not how trains actually run. On triple track, normally, there's no distinction between freight and passenger lines (that's only on quadruple track). The outer tracks are like a double-track line - usually, that means running on the right hand side, for both freight and passenger. The center track is the two-way track.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
usually, that means running on the right hand side, for both freight and passenger. The center track is the two-way track.
Absolutely!.....except in the case of the Chicago & Northwestern, which ran left hand. The UP runs left hand on the old C&NW track, it's easier than redoing all the signalling.:D