My Favorite Locomotives

CN1

I posted this in the HO forum but as suggested by Ron :thumb: I'll post them here too.

I don’t know why :confused: , but I love early generation Diesel-Electric Locomotive. :thumb:

I think they have more panache or something.. :)

I guess it's a matter of taste after all isn't? :rolleyes:

Sorry for the dial-up guys. This may take a while... :(

tr_dh1216.jpg

ENR3870

Yay, Baldwins!!!!!! I'm too young to remember seeing them in person but they revolutionalized railroading on Vancouver Island, CP used them to dieselize the E&N in 1949. They lasted until the mid-1970's when they were replaced by GP7's, GP9's, GP30's, GP35's, GP38's and SW8's.

My second favorite has to be the GP38.

3809b.jpg

spitfire

Nice pix!!!!!

One thing about the size of the images. I'm on high-speed cable, and even then it took a while to load. If I could make a suggestion, it would be to post smaller (lower resolution etc) photo's here, with a link to the high rez versions.

I agree that the early diesels had a lot more character than the modern ones. And steam even more so. Architecture has followed the same path to blandness. Seems all anyone wants to make these days is big boxes.

Val

Nothing personal, guys, but I like those little tea-kettle steam locomotives - the 4-4-0s, the 2-6-0s, the 4-6-0s and the 2-8-0s (so, okay a 2-8-0 is getting a bit on the big side, but I still like them).

Okay, so I've made a couple of concessions in that I've got a few Atlas HO CNR GP9s, but they're only in CN Green, so that takes me into the 1950s.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Since I've been seeing a lot of CPR AC4400s, I picked up a few of those. But that's it! No more diesel stuff!

CN1

Nice pix!!!!!

Thanks Val but thank "Google" hehehehe :D

One thing about the size of the images. I'm on high-speed cable, and even then it took a while to load. If I could make a suggestion, it would be to post smaller (lower resolution etc) photo's here, with a link to the high rez versions.

OK, So, how do I do that :confused: Let me know and I'll do it :thumb:

I agree that the early diesels had a lot more character than the modern ones. And steam even more so. Architecture has followed the same path to blandness. Seems all anyone wants to make these days is big boxes.

The last time I saw my childhood home, I couldn't believe the styles in buildings. Some of them still have "Art-Deco" :thumb: . Beautifull. :) Style meant something then :eek: :thumb: I guess it's the same with Locomotives...

ENR3870

Unfortunately style has given way to practicality. Hood locomotives, with easy to access parts for fast repair, that are cheaper to build than a carbody locomotive like an E or F unit. Not to mention that the carbody locomotives are a pain in the a** if you have to make a long reverse move.

spitfire

CN1 said:
OK, So, how do I do that :confused: Let me know and I'll do it :thumb:

First you would need your own website or server space on the net. Then you upload your hi-rez pics to that site.

In an image-editing program (I used Photoshop but there are many others), you re-size the image to say 6" x 4" and post on the Gauge.

When you're typing out your post, you can add a link to the webpage that has the hi-rez photos.

Hope that helps. Jon uses a program called Gimp that I think is shareware. A Google search should locate it for you.

Val

Pitchwife

Dreamer
most photo editing software has a section on resizing where you can pick dimensions in either inches, centimeters or pixels. If you choose pixels you can use the 640 x 480 dimensions that are the largest size accepted and alo set your pixel size to around 80/inch.

As has been pointed out, you would make a copy of your hi-rez photo and reduce the size of that photo to the maximum 640 x 480 pixels. This would require some graphics software like Adobe Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, or other software that might come with your digital camera. You can download some freeware which might do it. This resized photo you would upload to The Gauge following the instructions under "Manage Attachments" button down below.

The second thing to do would be to either get some free webspace at a place like Bravenet or other web tool services (the only drawback is that you would have ads in the middle of your webpages) and upload the hi-rez photos to the webspace. This could be kind of tricky if you aren't familiar with webpages and websites, but these services usually make it very user friendly.

Another alternative is to get an account at the Sony Image Station. The Image Station allows you to upload almost unlimited photos to their servers. It's relatively easy to do.

When you have your image uploaded to the image station and the image is in your browser, you copy the URL (the line at the top of the browser that begins http://........... You then go back to The Gauge and edit the post with your low rez image. You use the URL feature (the round globe with the chain link when your in edit or reply-to-thread mode). Click on it once and follow the instructions in the pop-up boxes. You simply paste the URL that you copied from the Image Station website.

It might take a few tries to begin with but the results can be pretty amazing.