My Father's Illness

F

Fred_M

Jon, Sorry to hear about your dad. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. Need anything give me a call. Take care. Fred

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
My sincere condolances on your loss Jon.My prayers go out to you and your family at this sad time and while your father has left this mortal plane his ship shall reach a further shore where a new adventure awaits as it waits for us all.
Be strong for your family and draw strength from your friends.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Jon my friend, I am so sorry to hear the sad news. although sad at the time, holding him was good, as I held my mother as she died and felt strengthened by it afterwards.
God bless you your wife and family. Remember, I am only a phone call away.
Paul

Knifeguy

Dec 29, 2003
LI, NY
Visit site
Jon, my condolances. I have been there several times, and it never gets easier. Together with the fact that it has to happen this time of year kills your spirit. Hang in there, it sounds like you have a good close family, which will help you get thru this.
Tom

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Jon, my friend, I am feeling with you and your family. Somehow I missed this thread altogether, and so I am completely disconcerted that only now I learned about your father's illness and now his passing away.

Although these are difficult and sad days for you all, it is a comfort to hear that you were right with your father when he passed away. Last year my Mom went away, too, but somehow it was a big consolation for me and my wife, that we could hold her when she made her last breath. Strange, suddenly we had the certain feeling that this wasn't the end - in this moment we knew that we'll meet again, somehow, sometime, in a better place.

My deepest sympathy to you all, my friend.

Ron

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Jon. It was a real blessing that you could be with you father. Like others have said, we have experienced the passing of loved ones and know it is not an easy time for you.

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Jon,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. You have my deepest condolences.
I been down that path with both parents and recently my brother-in-law. Your in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you and your family.

Ron

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
John,
we are saddened with the news of the loss of your father. our payers and thoughts are with you and your family, I cant say much; but you still have the memories of him, and he will always be with you in your thoughts and heart. may god be with you and your family.. steve...

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
Sorry to hear of your loss Jon!!:( It's totally awesome though that you were there with him when he left for the better place! Not many people are as fortunate to have a loving family by their side in the end. God bless you all!!

-doc

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Thanks so much, friends. I wish I could answer each and every post. This is so meaningful to me. He was a great man, a war hero, enlisted and comissioned, and he made a great contribution to education and childrens programs like scouting and little league. He made sure there were no loosers on his team and everyone played in every game.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I thought some of you might enjoy reading his obituary:

Curtis Mitchell Paulsen Obituary

Curtis Mitchell Paulsen, age 78, of Rensselaer, Indiana, passed away December 13, 2004 at Home Hospital in Lafayette, Indiana. He was born on October 21, 1926 in Sioux City, Iowa to Jens and Bernice Paulsen of Turin, Iowa.

A resident of Rensselaer since 1962, Curt had been an Associate Professor of Mathematics at Saint Joseph’s College. He had previously taught mathematics and physics at Cunningham, Kansas; Boone, Iowa; Oceanside, New York; Westmont, Illinois; Boone Grove, Indiana and Newton Schools in Indiana.
Curt attended primary and secondary schools in his hometown of Turin and later at Onawa, Iowa. He lettered in football, basketball and baseball and graduated with honors with the Onawa High School Class of 1944. He enlisted in the U. S. Navy on his 18th birthday and graduated from Great Lakes Naval Training Station in December 1944. His World War II service included flying as aircrew from the state of Washington and aboard the U.S.S. Markob on the Yellow River in China.
Following a 1946 honorable discharge, he attended the University of South Dakota where he played varsity baseball and was in the university orchestra playing the violin. Following a 1950 graduation with a degree in mathematics and physics, he was commissioned as an Ensign in the Navy and returned to active duty during the Korean War. Reporting to LST-975 as the Engineering Officer, he made 60 amphibious landings with the ship, including the famous landing at Inchon, North Korea.
Returning to education after the Korean War, he continued his association with the Naval Reserve for over 20 years, including active duty during the war in Viet Nam. After several years of teaching, he married his wife and love of 47 years, Ruth Elaine, in Nevada, Iowa on June 1, 1957. They returned to the University of South Dakota where Curt was a National Science Foundation grant recipient and he earned a Masters Degree in 1960. More post-graduate studies followed at the University of Missouri in Columbia before he and Ruth moved to Rensselaer.
Curt was a life-long member of the United Methodist Church, serving as Sunday School Superintendent in Oceanside, New York and as a Lay Leader in Rensselaer. He was active with Methodist Men and was a President of that association. He was also a member of the American Legion Post 29, the Rensselaer Lions Club, the Sinfonian music fraternity and the National Mathematics Society. For many years he worked at Purdue University football games, and he was an avid Chicago Cub and Bears fan. His interests included many sports, hunting, fishing, and music; he played in softball and bowling leagues and later coached Little League, Babe Ruth and collegiate baseball at Saint Joseph’s College.

Curtis Paulsen is survived by his wife, Ruth Elaine of Rensselaer; his son Captain James and Susan Paulsen, USN, of Washington, D.C.; his son Christian and Julie Paulsen of Little Rock, Arkansas; his son Jonathon and Nancy of Lafayette, Indiana. His grandchildren are Christian, Daniel, Kaitlyn, Madeline, David and Mackenzie. Curtis was preceded in death by his parents Jens and Bernice.

The family will receive friends at Jackson Funeral Chapel of Rensselaer on Friday, December 17, 2004 from 4 to 8 p.m. CST. The Lions Club will hold a service that night at 7 p.m. Funeral services will be held Saturday, December 18, 2004 at 3 p.m. at Trinity United Methodist Church in Rensselaer with Pastor John Hostetter officiating. Following a military ceremony at Steven’s Funeral Chapel of Ames, Iowa on December 21, 2004, Curt will be interred at White Oak Cemetery with family members south of Ames. Memorials may be made to the Trinity United Methodist Church Memorial by calling 219.866.7271. For more information see www.jacksonfuneral.com