My ED-209

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by MOS95B, Apr 24, 2007.

1. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Well, I'm finally close enough to complete to go ahead and post my progress. I have a day off tomorrow between temp assignments, so I should be able to finish him up finally.

You've seen some of these I'm afraid...

Gotta start at the bottom, right??

[​IMG]

Nice legs!!!!

[​IMG]

Somebody hand me a screwdriver (heavy on the vodka....)
    All the major subassemblies, minus the shoulder shields, ready to be put together...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those little arms took about an hour each. :cry: I don't even want to try and guess how many hours I have into this amazing model!!!

There are a couple more pics on my site, showing the same parts from different angles for those that might care. See my sig for the link

The well informed may notice the lack of joint tubes... I am going to try for a static display rather than the semi posable that was intended. I trust my "hold it til the glue dries" skills much better than I trust my ability to cut well aligned holes.

The finished product should be up by tomorrow evening......

ADMIRE MY TALENTS. YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY..... ;)
  2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Well, I'm finally close enough to complete to go ahead and post my progress. I have a day off tomorrow between temp assignments, so I should be able to finish him up finally.

You've seen some of these I'm afraid...

Gotta start at the bottom, right??

[​IMG]

Nice legs!!!!

[​IMG]

Somebody hand me a screwdriver (heavy on the vodka....)
    All the major subassemblies, minus the shoulder shields, ready to be put together...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those little arms took about an hour each. :cry: I don't even want to try and guess how many hours I have into this amazing model!!!

There are a couple more pics on my site, showing the same parts from different angles for those that might care. See my sig for the link

The well informed may notice the lack of joint tubes... I am going to try for a static display rather than the semi posable that was intended. I trust my "hold it til the glue dries" skills much better than I trust my ability to cut well aligned holes.

The finished product should be up by tomorrow evening......

ADMIRE MY TALENTS. YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY..... ;)
  3. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Nice and neat and BIG. I can't wait to see it assembled. As much as I admire your model, I have to admit it was your metal ruler that caught my eye. Is it a printer's type guage? Back in the early '70's I worked as a journeyman printer in a hot metal print shop. I ran a linotype machine and performed hand composition as well, and I still have my old printer's rule which I use today for card modeling. It looks almost exactly like the one in your picture - 6 and 12 pt indicators, 72 ems in length.

Don
  4. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Nice and neat and BIG. I can't wait to see it assembled. As much as I admire your model, I have to admit it was your metal ruler that caught my eye. Is it a printer's type guage? Back in the early '70's I worked as a journeyman printer in a hot metal print shop. I ran a linotype machine and performed hand composition as well, and I still have my old printer's rule which I use today for card modeling. It looks almost exactly like the one in your picture - 6 and 12 pt indicators, 72 ems in length.

Don
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Besides ED-209............ I'm kinda partial to the Star Trek cup myself!8)

Do the pliers have smooth jaws or are they ribbed? I'm having a hard time finding smooth jawed pliers............. got one that's curved on the end, but I want some straight ones.

john

Oh............ ED looks pretty good by the way.............. I did do this in less than 20 seconds so I'm safe...............right...........ummmmmmm I still work for the company........... remember you can not harm a COP employee......... nooooo........... wait..............................................................
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Besides ED-209............ I'm kinda partial to the Star Trek cup myself!8)

Do the pliers have smooth jaws or are they ribbed? I'm having a hard time finding smooth jawed pliers............. got one that's curved on the end, but I want some straight ones.

john

Oh............ ED looks pretty good by the way.............. I did do this in less than 20 seconds so I'm safe...............right...........ummmmmmm I still work for the company........... remember you can not harm a COP employee......... nooooo........... wait..............................................................
  7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

The ruler has inches and 6&12 on one side, 8 and 10 (I assume point) on the other. I grabbed it at Dick Blick because the 18 inch ruler that cam with my cutting mat was a tad too long.

My kids bought me the coffe cup many, many years ago at a garage sale. It has a few chips, the guys no longer "transport" (due to my wife's insistance that all coffe cups must be washed every time they're used) so I use it for storage now.

As for the pliers, they have no teeth. I think we got these at the state fair, but look at beading and jewelry craft stores for these. They're intended to be used for wire jewelry. Such as... http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/pliers-jeweler
  8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

The ruler has inches and 6&12 on one side, 8 and 10 (I assume point) on the other. I grabbed it at Dick Blick because the 18 inch ruler that cam with my cutting mat was a tad too long.

My kids bought me the coffe cup many, many years ago at a garage sale. It has a few chips, the guys no longer "transport" (due to my wife's insistance that all coffe cups must be washed every time they're used) so I use it for storage now.

As for the pliers, they have no teeth. I think we got these at the state fair, but look at beading and jewelry craft stores for these. They're intended to be used for wire jewelry. Such as... http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/pliers-jeweler
  9. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Yeah, the ruler, cup and pliars are cool...BUT, the Man has a Dremel!!!
    Gotta be an okay guy if he has a Dremel!!! lol

Looks like your Ed has a " glitch"...can't wait to see him " pull himself together"...

I saw the ed209 prop at a movie theater in Hollywood several years back...that sucker is taller than me even " at ease". Very cool!!!
  10. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Yeah, the ruler, cup and pliars are cool...BUT, the Man has a Dremel!!!
    Gotta be an okay guy if he has a Dremel!!! lol

Looks like your Ed has a " glitch"...can't wait to see him " pull himself together"...

I saw the ed209 prop at a movie theater in Hollywood several years back...that sucker is taller than me even " at ease". Very cool!!!
  11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Yeah, I got a Dremel. And it's a real Dremel, not one of them knock-offs. And as soon as I can afford it, I will have the router bits for it from widgetsupply.com

He who dies with the most toys wins, right??

Unfortunately, I didn't get as much done on ED as I had hoped. His arms and hips are attached. Then The Missus convinced me that throwing a couple of rib-eyes on the grill would be a good idea.....
  12. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Yeah, I got a Dremel. And it's a real Dremel, not one of them knock-offs. And as soon as I can afford it, I will have the router bits for it from widgetsupply.com

He who dies with the most toys wins, right??

Unfortunately, I didn't get as much done on ED as I had hoped. His arms and hips are attached. Then The Missus convinced me that throwing a couple of rib-eyes on the grill would be a good idea.....
  13. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Finally almost done!! Just need to customize one part to make up for my mistake, and take him out of AntiAircraft mode.... (Hardmounting the joints instead of using the tube and socket mode worked. My estimation of angles did not... :cry: ) and look for white edges one more time....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a few other mistakes due to my newb-ness, but I ain't pointing 'em out.. :twisted:
  14. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Finally almost done!! Just need to customize one part to make up for my mistake, and take him out of AntiAircraft mode.... (Hardmounting the joints instead of using the tube and socket mode worked. My estimation of angles did not... :cry: ) and look for white edges one more time....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a few other mistakes due to my newb-ness, but I ain't pointing 'em out.. :twisted:
  15. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

16. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Hey, Bodenja, (and everybody else)

Try places like Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, Harbor Freight, etc. Most of them have a "Cheap Stuff Display". I have a pair of 2.5" duck-bill pliers (square tip) and a pair with round tipped jaws that are about 4.5" long. Both are smooth jawed with straight sides and both close with the jaws flush with each other (talk about neat for long bends and the duck-bills are great for bending tabs). Both came from T.S. Never walk by one of those displays (unless the wife is with you)!

Also try the tool vendors at flea markets.

Quit making little gibblets of paper and go find some new tools!

Bob

[I joined AA and I quit smoking, but I'm still severely addicted to hardware!]

I almost forgot: GREAT BUILD!
  17. Kaz

Kaz Member

Lovely model, and cool toys on your workbench too!
  18. lixion

lixion New Member

perfect!!!!

A great job!!
  19. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

i have been looking for a ed-209 for a long time will you be releasing the model to the public for us to build?
  20. MOS95B

MOS95B Member