My early days

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Some of you may already know that in the 1960's I was a professional harmonica player doing Radio in the UK and abroad. later in life I had to give up playing due to poor health. However, I did manage to make 5 cassettes - 1 record and a CD of all my harmonica work. This piece of music called "Madrid" is one of my own compositions I recorded using a multi track system in a recording studio. All the harmonica's played are by little ole me.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I used to do playing it.

Shamus

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Paul, it's great to hear from you again - and this time 'hear' is meant literally!

My Dad also played the harmonica very well (although not professionally). Oh, he would have loved your composition, because this was his preferred style of music. Thank you for sharing it with us.

This brought back sweet memories (also from the fifties and sixties) when we got out his harmonica and my guitar and made some music.

Ron

Roger Wellman

Feb 3, 2003
Delaware, Ohio
Visit site
This is GREAT STUFF! You obvously are the Les Paul of the harmonica! He set the tone for guitar music today ... and you obviously have raised the standard for the haromica! Wow! Is your music available by CD? Cassette? Sure would be another inspiration for us ... seeing your RR talents AND hearing your music at the same time! Thanks for sharing another talent with us!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi all and thanks.
Robin, I don't play/can't play anymore, lungs won't allow it.

Don, They were mostly recorded around the 1970's mark just after I became British Harmonica Champion.

Roger, yes most of my early Radio work and some concerts are on CD but I doubt if you will be able to buy it now, same goes for the record and cassettes, toooooo far back my friend.

Lucky I still have everything I played on Reel to Reel so I can make CD's from them.
cheers all
Shamus

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi Paul:

Thoroughly enjoyed the piece. Do you have any harmonica players on your railroad?

Seems to me that John Sebastian's (he of Lovin' Spoonful fame) dad was a famous harp player. Anyone recall anything about that?

Thanks for the tune Paul!

Ted

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Thanks for the memories

Hi Paul thanks for the link it`s in my Fav`s.
There were a lot of great Mouth organ:D Players back in the sixty and seventies My dad played a little and got me playing , Great round a campfire:D :D :D . No where near your class, but OOOO what FUN.

We used to always listen to you professional`s When we lived in M/cr.
Thanks again.

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Awesome piece of music Paul! I really enjoyed hearing it.
Makes me wish I would have exploited my own musicality more. Played trumpet for 18 years. 15 of those with private lessons. Played with numerous jazz bands, classical orchestras and with a now defunct drum and bugle corps. What a blast!!!!

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
I happen to be lucky enough to have a copy of Paul's CD, it is excellent. The guys I work with are getting tired of hearing it though (think I may have to play something else for awhile). If you can pick up a copy I highly recommend it!!

Thank's Paul and I wish you the best of health my friend!!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thanks guys.

Jim ,

Toots Theilmans was around in my days of playing, he was a brilliant Jazz Harmonica player.

Yes I still have a CD available.

Would love to go to the "SPAH convention in Dallas " but from the UK, its one hell of a swim.

cheers
Shamus

Originally posted by shamus
Thanks guys.

Jim ,

Toots Theilmans was around in my days of playing, he was a brilliant Jazz Harmonica player.

Yes I still have a CD available.

Would love to go to the "SPAH convention in Dallas " but from the UK, its one hell of a swim.

Paul,

Available as in "for sale"? I hope.

I listened to Toots when I was a "kid". I still have the LP of "The Sound". Did you ever run across any Texas harmonica players. Does the name Don Sanders ring a bell?