My cursed sword...

jacksparrow

May 8, 2010
When I first started paper modeling,I built my models from...well, paper.
It just so happened, that one day I built a 1:1 scale medieval sword.
It was disappointing, it was not properly reinforced, so I couldn't really swing around.I tried though, and the handle broke off.:eek:
So I fixed it,I put rolls of cardboard into the handle, but it didn't work as well as I thought it would...the handle broke off eventually.
Discouraged, I threw it into "the closet" for about two months.Then one day, I open my closet and see it laying there.An idea hits me...I put a 15" long, piece of foamboard into the handle of my sword, connecting it with the blade.
When the glue dries, I tentatively test it out. It worked!!!!!! Now I could swing it around to my hearts content.
BUT...the story doesn't end here...about a week later, my sister puts a pile of boxes onto my sword by accident.With a wail, I pull my sword out, the blade was all bent.It looks irrepareable.

So my sword is currently in "the closet" again.I don't know if I have the heart to fix it yet again.:cry:

sheo15

Mar 14, 2009
Russia
True swords have their own stories, they even live their own lifes. So your sword is definitely true sword. :thumb: goldtoth1

jtkirklin

Aug 20, 2009
I have a story just like that, except that instead of a sword it was the Aliens Space Marine pulse rifle and the damage done to it by my 7 year old son. It was my favorite project and it is beyond repair.

Maybe one day, I'll build another one but right now my son wants me to build him a cool Gen 1 Optimus Prime costume he saw on Instructables for halloween this year

MurdocMurloc

May 17, 2010
I regularly make little papercraft toys for my nephews, lately it's been mostly advance wars units. But after the first couple of toys somehow they got the idea that EVERY project I ever did belonged to them.

Long story short, I made the hammer from red faction: guerilla, reinforced and all, an EVE spaceship and the moon from MM. The hammer was used to try and break a concrete wall. TRY, being the keyword there. The moon was hung from the ceiling, they knocked that down. **** knows how they did that, I presume they used the hammer, they never told me. My spaceship was launched from the attic window. All of this happening with me blissfully unaware, floating in the swimming pool.

The WORST thing? My aunt, mum and dad saw them running around with my papercrafts and did bloody nothing. I found out when I found the spaceship spread out across the garden.

I raged quite a bit.

JackAce

Jun 13, 2010
these posts make me think i need to get some higher shelves to store my projects on so that my 3 year old doesn't get ahold of them lol

Daikhovalin

Apr 17, 2010
these posts make me think i need to get some higher shelves to store my projects on so that my 3 year old doesn't get ahold of them lol

Ain't no mountain high enough...

I can certainly sympathize, especially with the aliens rifle...that thing is a bear to build.

My cats are my paper nemesis. They love to chew on my paper mech gun barrels. I even had one of them jump six feet straight up to get a spaceship I had hanging from the ceiling.

And MurdocMurloc, let us know if you need help hiding the bodies...

~D

Chameleon

Nov 30, 2009
CT, USA
I can sympathize! My cat will 'punch' (with his teeth) any paper lying around, even book covers! I found a solution thoug; while I am working on a model I put the pieces and/or finished model into a plastic storage bin. They stay there until I transfer them to the garage(to get fiberglassed), or hang form the ceiling.

Luckily my cat is 13years old and about 28lbs. He isn't doing much jumping these days, but the plastic container does keep him out.

jacksparrow

May 8, 2010
I had a 1:1 scale paper mace that my friend broke TWICE!
The next time he came over I was forced to tell him NOT to touch it, because if he broke it AGAIN than I would make him pay me.

MurdocMurloc

May 17, 2010
And MurdocMurloc, let us know if you need help hiding the bodies...

~D

Lord knows I had some murderous rage in me at the time. But after a bit of a cooldown (thank the pool for that), I realized they were kids and that they just wanted to have some fun. I actually D'aawwwed :rolleyes: afterwards when they said that they just wanted to play with "the kick-ass toys".

I took my own version of revenge though. I recently made them 2 foam versions of the red faction hammer :mrgreen:. I don't even want to know what kind of destruction they've caused with those.

leaw

Oct 5, 2010
I currently have NO models left, due to both my children, and their friends, loving them. I have surrendered and now mainly build models for them until they learn to build them themselves. My daughter has just completed her first model, a cubee Amy Pond from Doctor Who so i built a matching 11th Doctor for my son. It has kept them good and i have found that they will play with paper models more than most so-called 'proper' toys.
Embrace the destruction, and plan on building bigger and better in the future!