My current project

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by NOBI, Jul 28, 2005.

1. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi there,

below is my current project in different scale, can someone ID that aircraft?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Maurice

Maurice Member

Dewoitine D.520
    8)
  3. shrike

shrike Guest

The Yak 9 or the Dw 520?
  4. shrike

shrike Guest

Darn it! Maurice, I hadn't even had coffee yet!
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

He is fast and accurate. I too think it's the Dewoitine- far back cockpit with ridge to the tail. But I thought it had a more pointier nose.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I don't know the Dewoitine had a different landing gear............hmmmmm.
  7. charliec

charliec Active Member

There was a Dewoitine D524 which had a different Hispano-Suiza engine -
    that did have a much sleeker nose. Only one built though.

Regards,

Charlie
  8. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

well :) first picture is model in 1/32 scale different from below picture. below picture is model in 1/72 scale...please dont confuse hehe

below picture is DeWointe D.520 in 1/72 scale, i try to reduce detail to make it easy to assemble and still accurate and beautiful...

and 1/32 is ? ....ID her....
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yak 1 but no wing intakes...........Yak 9 landing gear is wrong so I'm going to say Yak 7.
  10. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Fiat G-55 Maybe?
  11. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

That 1/32 model have airintake on bottom of wing...in that angle of picture make it cant see that airintake...canopy is look like bubble canopy, have only gun mouth on nose :)
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

13. Maurice

Maurice Member

John

Well the model and the plan underneath both show a completely straight leading edge so I'm stumped.
    Unless it's a Yakovlev I-26, the prototype for the Yak-1, we will just have to wait for NOBI to own up.

Cheers
    Maurice
  14. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Yak 1B?

[​IMG]

Says here: "The progenitor of a long series of Soviet fighters culminating in the Yak-9, the Yak-1 was produced from 1940 through to 1944. A fairly conservative design for it’s day, it featured a tubular frame fuselage with aluminium skins over the nose with a plywood and fabric rear fuselage, much like the Hawker Hurricane. The wings and empennage were plywood with fabric control surfaces. The -1b version differed externally from the Yak-1 in that it had a cut down rear fuselage and carried a single 13mm machine gun."

For what it's worth. At least the single machine gun fits. And the landing gear.

Could be a Yak 1M as well. See this drawing. I suppose there could be intermediares between these models, too.

Leif

(I've got to admit that I resorted to Texman's method and tried to read what was on the plan beneath the model. Couldn't quite make it out though, but it got me close enough to venture this guess.)
  15. Maurice

Maurice Member

Leif

What's irritating me is that I haven't been able to find the exact plan NOBI is working from.
    It may well be on that aviacherteg site and he may well have got it before the links got into their current state of disarray.

Cheers
    Maurice
  16. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Pretty detailed sets of drawings and colour profiles for the Yak-1B can be found here:

[​IMG]

http://www.penio.narod.ru/Planes/USSR/Yak1/index.htm

Not the exact drawing Nobi's been working from, but still. Don't be discouraged by the broken image over the link for the Yak-1B drawings - these are in fact the absolute best, and the link works.

In the colour profiles in Russian the Yak-1B is called 1 M, which might explain why I speculated about a Yak-1M earlier. M in cyrillic perhaps translates B?

Anyways, my bet is Yak-1B. So there.

Leif
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey you guys go all out on this. Looking for build plans........That's where I go wrong I looking through all of my out-dated books!

I too agree Leif, my books say the Yak1M and the Yak3 are almost the same. Just minor differences in building and materials. My guess is that during this time the improvements to the Yak-1 were just started while in assembly process and when they switched over they change the version to Yak 3. Just a guess though.

Cool beta build Nobi............I can't wait til you have it out. I love this scale!

john
  18. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

[​IMG]

John, the drawing of the Yak-3 here confirms your sources (don't be misled by the heading which says Yak-1; it isn't). The Yak-3 seemed to be all metal fuselage and possibly wings, too.

Otherwise, the clincher would be the single 13 mm machine gun on the Yak-1B (compared to the twin smaller calibre guns of the Yak-1, and the twin guns of the Yak-3). This change made the all-up weight considerably lower.

Also, as Maurice was quick to spot, the straight leading edge of the Yak-1B as oppsosed to the Yak-3.

Oh boy, the amount of stuff you learn if prodded by a little challenge!

It is really remarkable how similar the Yak-1 was to the Hurricane in design and choice of construction techniques. Makes you wonder what a Hurricane "1B" would have looked like, with a cut-down aft fuselage and more of a bubble canopy...

Leif
  19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah it's neat finding out the people who accually like planes........as oppossed to the ones who go ........it's a Yak what's the difference?

john
  20. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

guy, all r so cool. this is why this hobby is a wonderful one. my project is Yak-1B. Yak's series is very similar in line, they have a litle change on look in each series. i design Yak-1b what is look like yak-1m (and like yak-3,7 or 9 too) but Yak-1b is differnet from Yak-1m at nose. Yak-1b have a airintake on nose but Yak-1m not have. that beta test is finish long time ago but i hve no time to color that kit :( i hope this yak will release soon

thnak you very much all guy for information