My Biggest Scratchbuilt Bridge

K.V.Div

Here are a few pis of an N Scale wood trestle I built a few years ago.
The bridge measures a scale 405ft in length and 164ft in height and, while it follows no specific prototype, it is built to Canadian Pacific standard plans and is based loosely on the crossing at Bridal Veil Falls (now known as Fallslake Creek) on Canadian Pacific's now abandoned Coquihalla subdivision.
I am planning to install it on a new oNeTrak module later this year.

Terry

Attachments

• e&n loco on trestle 2 shrunk.jpg
    e&n loco on trestle 2 shrunk.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 400

K.V.Div

And one from overhead. The train is there because I was asked to send along a few photos to accompany a custom painted model of an Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railfreight GP38 done for a customer and I decided to add a few peices of rolling stock for effect.
Cheers!

Terry

Attachments

• e&n on trestle d.jpg
    e&n on trestle d.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 386

Bob Collins

That is absolutely awesome.

Is it okay to ask about how long it took to build it and approximately how many pieces are involved?

Thanks for sharing.

Bob

TrainClown

best N scale bridge I've seen to date.

that one shot from the creekbed looks like a real train to me.

Good work................what's next?

ezdays

Out AZ way
WOW!!!! Impressive, that's all I can say.:)

What material did you use, and do you have any idea of how much time it took to build?

Don

K.V.Div

Thanks for the comments guys. The bridge is constructed from Northeastern and Kappler stripwood. The Kappler wood is supplyed in N Scale dimensions, while with the Northeastern Product, I used HO size and divided by half.
All peices were indiviually stained with thinned Polly Scale Oily Black prior to assembly and I lost count of the number of peices about 3/4 the way through construction (lost count at around 1400).
I wanted a large bridge for an upcoming model train show competition in September of that year, so I decided to start early. Research and planning started in May and took the better part of two weeks, during which time I drew out a full size side-on plan as well as an overhead one.
I spent aproximately 2 hours every day untill the beginning of September, for a total of just over 200 hours.
The track is handlayed Code 55.
Cheers!

Terry

RailRon

This is a fantastic piece of craftsmanship, Terry! Absolutely stunning!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

And I also admire your patience for building this giant model. (Wish I had only 10% of yours :D )

Ron

Drew1125

WOW!!

What an astounding piece of craftsmanship, Terry!
My hat is off to you, my friend!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
The amount skill, & patience that went into that is something I can only dream of...
That's just simply beautiful!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Wow! I am awed by the painstaking work and care that went into that fantastic trestle!
Ralph