My 3foot Galactica attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Windius

Fantastic build, Stephen

This model is on my I-have-to-do-this-one file, even if I prefer the lines of the TOS Galactica. But the texture rendering seems very good, and the discussions will help me. I think you don't make pics during the build of the model?

Nevertheles, many congratulations :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

stephen.irl

Thanks Darth. It's a great model and looks even better in real life. Hope to see your pictures soon too. No, I'm afraid I don't make production pictures yet. I'm still kinda new and I started a good few models that I just destroyed or couldn't finish. Now I sorta have the basics under my belt and I'm finishing most of the models I start I might start taking pictures during my builds. There are a few threads on this particular model out there with build photos though if you're having difficulty but the instructions are pretty good.

Darth Windius

Battlestar Galactica (TOS) Dimensions

Hello Steven,

We can start from detailed values founder in Battlestar Wiki site:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Portal:Ships

and specially on the file for Battlestar Galactica:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Galactica_(TOS)

The length of the Galactica is "appromatively 4,143-4,166ft (1,263-1,255m)"; thus, the 3' Galactica model is approx. 1/1381 to 1/1389:thumb:

Nevertheless, your building is GREAT, and convinced me to put this model on the highest levels of my "have-to-do-this-one" (too long:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:) list:cool:

Hope it helps:wave:

Take care

melvin008

Wow the model is crazy...so want to make a 3 foot version. Up until now I've only seen the smaller one from JayBat with well not nearly as much detailing as the 3foot version. If only I had access to download page....

Chesso2001

I wonder if anyone ever said a length for Galactica? If not guaging the scale may be impossible.
I supose It may be possible to guess it.
Carl

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I love Galactica (old and new), and that model is awesome. Thanks to sjsquirrel for the design and to stephen.irl for the build and the threat. :thumb:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To Kovic: I like the new Classic Cylons very much. In 1998 I wrote a complete Galactica season (fan-fiction, 24 episodes) and started to illustrate some of them as comics. When I saw the Razor Cylons, I seriously thought about replacing the old Cylon design by the new one. I turned down the idea when I saw the end of the new series. Now I am thinking of a new story-arc which links TNS and TOS.

stephen.irl

I agree with kovic. TOS Galactica was pretty cool looking but the new series Galactica looks much better. Vipers too!!! They're one of the coolest thing about the series (Sorry TOS fans) :wave:

Savion

I just re-reviewed the build up pics. The model looks pretty sturdy. Not being able to download the file yet, does the model need to have any sort of "core" (such as a length of doweling or a plastic or metal tube) to support the structure along it's length?

At the scale of the model, Vipers would be tiny as well as any support craft such as Raptors, shuttles, etc.

stephen.irl

Savion: Yes. The model has a really good substructure. You sort of build the model from the inside out and it is broken into three sections, the nose, the main body and the rear + engines. I used the same thickness card for the internal structure as the skin and it turned out really strong alright. No need for anything extra. It's all in the file (when you can download).

Chameleon: I have a thread on tiny galactica models here:

http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167063

I tried one of the tiny vipers but there still not small enough. Must see if it's possible to scale down even further :eek:

Attachments

• 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.