Multiple layouts on the same booster

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
I just got my digitrax system the other day .. other than being completely overwhelmed w/ the raneg of possibilities now i was wondering if there is a way to use the same booster w/ an nscale layout and my ho scale layout ?

Would i have to buy a new booster? just seems a waste to have all that power and can't apply it to more than one layout ;).

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Do you think if i have n and ho on the same booster that the booster would fry the n scale decoders? On the digitrax unit i have there is a toggle switch for n, ho or o.

cidchase said:
I think that's a good idea, YmeBP. As long as there is enough power available, would work OK. You could run both at the same time, but all locos need unique addresses.

NYNH&H

Dec 11, 2006
Use N scale, it will make HO trains go a little slower, but thats actually better for anything but mainline passenger on a big layout with perfect track. HO is fine for the N decoders, but could lower the MTBF on your motors quite a bit if you use a high speed step. You may want to put a switch on each, so you can turn one or the other off, or have them both on. Also, locate the booster between the layouts to minimize bus runs.

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Great news :). I think i'll take your advice and run in n mode, the layout i have isn't that large so i don't need super speed. Although i do pan to do a smalelr amtrack like passenger line. I don't have any decoders yet, but once i get them i'll give it a whirl and let you know what i come up w/ :).

NYNH&H said:
Use N scale, it will make HO trains go a little slower, but thats actually better for anything but mainline passenger on a big layout with perfect track. HO is fine for the N decoders, but could lower the MTBF on your motors quite a bit if you use a high speed step. You may want to put a switch on each, so you can turn one or the other off, or have them both on. Also, locate the booster between the layouts to minimize bus runs.