Multi-Floor layout?

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Does anyone know of a multi-floor layout? One which the track connects two floors of a building through a really long helix or grade? That's roughly 9' of elevation - could be interesting :) I've not been able to find anything searching here or Google.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Ah, awesome, so there's at least rumor that such a design is in operation. But there's shockingly limited information about either group on the web. Do either of you happen to know how they got between floors? Huge helix would seem to be the most logical. Or simply don't have them connect at all and use cartridges.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
The HO layout at the San Diego Model Railroad museum does. It's quite impressive and I believe they do it without a helix. I'd post you a link but my search engine is not working at the moment. They just opened the second floor for guests recently.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
TrainNut said:
The HO layout at the San Diego Model Railroad museum does. It's quite impressive and I believe they do it without a helix. I'd post you a link but my search engine is not working at the moment. They just opened the second floor for guests recently.

It is the La Mesa club modeling Tehachapie, and they don't use a helix except the Tehachapie Loop which of couse is a prototype version of a helix.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Very roughly... a 30" radius requires about 100" of track per loop. If you go up 4" per loop (4% grade - which is quite steep) you need 3 loops per foot. If you assume that you have to go up 9 feet - that's 27 loops or 2700" of track. That's 225 feet of track or 3 3/4 scale miles inside the helix... No wonder you do not see many like that...!

Andrew

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
WRMRC Website said:
Incidentally, cars rolling down a helix result in speeds of up to mach-2 when they finally empty out onto the lower approaches.

Ha ha ha, yeup.

Thanks for the link! They don't really have good pictures or descriptions, but they do talk about it being multi-floored and having huge helicies.