MTH railking????

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jan 22, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

is it me or are the railking becoming as much detailed as the premier ? some railking cars are even full scale,
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I think it is you. As an unfortunate owner of many new MTH engines this year, way too many to count at this time, Rail King is nice but the Premier have them beat on the level of detail. I say unfortunate because I my real love is Lionel, but the selection is not as large or at least my access to it isn't.

It is the little things such as truck detail, wipers, moving fans, metal screens, and much more.
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

The MTH RailKing Scale is higher details than the standard Railking line. They were once Premier line from a few years back. So as time has marched on, and the details of new tooling has improved, MTH now uses the older Premier tooling for the Railking line. This is good for us, as now we are getting Premier at Railking pricing! :thumb:
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Nice info Spanky, but since I have all new MTH engines I don't notice the up detail when comparing them to my Premier. However it is still good info for those that have older Rail King. For me though the Premier is HOT and the Rail King is nice but just OK when it comes to the detail.
  5. Geno

Geno Member

The nice thing about the Scaleking diesels is that you not only get a scale diesel, you can also get it with P.S. 2.0 for over $100 less than the newer Premier models. This is definitely an affordable way to get into DCS without breaking the bank.

Geno
  6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I do get into Scale TMCC for the same price as Rail King so that is one plus. Ok since I can't claim to be an expert, correct me if I wrong, doesn't all new MTH engines come with PS 2 / DCS?
  7. Geno

Geno Member

The Railking engines used to be available with Locosound only and with PS 2.0 optional. Mike's really pushing DCS hard now- all Railking and Premier engines in the 2008 Vol.1 catalog are available only with PS 2.0, or non-powered. I don't consider this a bad move for MTH, since DCS and PS 2.0 are for the most part proven and reliable.

Geno
  8. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Geno - I have been buying MTH engines since 1997 and after 2000 when PS2 was introduced, I don't remember PS2 (DCS) as an option. Several starter sets came ( and still does) with PS2 or Locosounds.
  9. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

That is what I thought too Spanky, but to be honest I have been buying MTH only since January 2007. Now I have 9 with three on order.
  10. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i have over 1500.00 worth of mth stuff on order from the 2008 book, all premier rolling stock , and one rail king engine. (provided it all gets put into production). i just started buying mth in 2007, so im still learning about them. now i find myself on ebay looking for cars that mth is not making now, right now im looking for premier gons with junk loads. i have one but am looking to get 4 or 5 more.
  11. Geno

Geno Member

Spanky,
    I haven't bought enough MTH engines to be sure- but I do remember some switchers released in both Locosounds and PS 2.0 versoions.

Geno