MTH Rail King Allegheny

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by petey, Nov 26, 2004.

1. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I am not sure about in conventional mode, but in command mode, the smoke unit turns off in neutral. I buy most of my MTH from Glen’s Trains in Akron, Ohio 330-253-6527. If you use the MTH web site, they have an advance product locator. Fill in the boxes to do your search, when you find a engine that you like, it has a link to ‘find it’ which will show you all the dealers that have it in stock. From there you can e-mail them and check prices. Here is the link

http://www.mth-railking.com/advsearch.asp

Please note that not all diesel engines have smoke units.

tom
  2. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

They do have the Sw-1500 the engine i want, but sadly no smoke unit.
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Well I couldn’t find a SW-1500 with smoke but they do have an Alco S-2 which is very close to it with smoke. These are in the top of the line Premier Line, which is a little more in price.

here is a link on it.

http://www.mth-railking.com/detail.asp?item=20-2591-1

tom

[​IMG]
  4. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Do you know what those go for? also would the smoke come out like the pictures you have, the reason i want the SW-1500 is because i ordered a 7 1/4 gauge ride on engine.
  5. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

it tell you on the link that I provided, List is $399.00. It is a scaled Priemer Engine. Top of the line for MTH. Cut and past the link to your brower and read all the detail it has.
  6. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Yeah i saw the link, thanks, normally it would be a little cheaper than the retail price, that engine and the Sw-1500 should be the same lengh? Any more pictures or your trains?
  7. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I would guess they are about the same lenght.

To see more pics of my layout, go to my web page. :thumb: If you click on my name, it will bring up my profile which has the link to my web page. :D
  8. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

ok ill do that, i wonder if i bought both SW-1500 and the engine you post and took everything out of the engine with the smoke unit and put it in the SW-1500 chassis if it would work.
  9. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Wait until both are on the market and find a dealer that has both and visit him to see. MTH sometimes will sell just the shell. You might want to send them an e-mail and ask if the shell are interchangable. IF so, by the one with the smoke and the SW1500 shell. But ask them (MTH) if they can be exchange with each other. The inside dimensitions of the two shell may not be the same.

tom
  10. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Are these even out yet for sale? I thought the SW-1500 was,
  11. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I believe the SW1500 is out but not the Alco. Even if the shells are interchangeable, the smoke stakes must be in the same place or the smoke unit will not line up correctly.
  12. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

I gave them an E-mail and waiting for a response, do you have any lionel or K-line engines?
  13. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Most of my collection is Steam engines. I do have some Lionel, starting with 671 from my childhood. I also have a few modern Lionel and 3 K-line (2 steam and one MP15).
  14. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

i still cant get over how much smoke MTH's units make, do you think i could fit one in my lionel small steamer?
  15. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Most likly not. The smaller Lionel engines use a piston driven off the drive wheels to pump air past the heating element.

MTH has a fan driven motor to pass the air over two heating elements. This is why they produce so much smoke. Also MTH units convert AC to DC to power their electronics.

Some of the smaller steam engines can be bought for $150.00 or so.
  16. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

yeah i have to try one out, have you seen that smoke scenet fluid? have you tried it,