MRL Locomotive power?

Hello everyone, does anyone know a MFG. that sales Montana Rail Link locomotives? I thought Atlas did at one time, but the new Walthers catalog doesnt list any. Im intrested in Kato, Proto or Atlas, not the Athearn line. Thanks!:thumb:

Hey everyone, never mind, i looked on the Atlas web site and found just what i was looking for. Now to see if my local hobby store can order them!:D Thanks!

Kato has the IMRL SD40 available in HO. Nice engine.

The IMRL paint scheme is also very easy to paint... So if a particular engine you want isn't available in that paint scheme, it should be easy for you to grab an undec and shoot it up yourself. :thumb:

If you want to model one of the IMRL's F45s, be advised you are going to have to get an Athearn, cus nobody else has an F45 in HO. :D

Jim Krause

There used to be someone in Spokane, Washington that did custom painting of MRL locomotives. You might try contacting a LHS there.

Triplex

Not regarding models, but the real thing:

MRL's predominant mainline power was SD45s, like WC. Now, they have SD70ACes which do a lot of the work.

jbaakko

Athearn has a few, but the Walthers website won't list them, you'll have to see Horizion or Athearn's own site for that.

Tower 55 should have the SD70ACe out mid-2007...

If one models the MRL, one SIMPLY has to have one of these! :D
pictures%5C6728%5CIMRL%20393%20-%20Homer,%20MN.jpg

Geez, thanks everyone for the great information and pictures, its a lot to think about. Tom, that picture is great, is that an FP unit? Thanks again!

Heya Trainsteve,

That's an F45. It's basically an SD45 with a cowl body. All of MRL's F45s were former BN units I think.

The F45 is a freight unit... The FP45 is the passenger version, and it's longer because there is a body stretch in the back behind the radiator section to accomodate a steam generator to supply heating to passenger cars. ATSF had a few FP45s I think.

Right now only Athearn has an F45 in HO scale available... But you can always take the Athearn F45 shell and mount it on a Kato SD45 mechanism. :thumb: