Mrc Sound Station 312

Hi y'all.

I would like some sound but can't go the $$ for individual decoders.
I would also like to see how the Soundtraxx Suroundsound works out.

I found this nice thread about the SS312 from Eddie L. (Nice work Eddie)

http://forum.atlasrr.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15438

The MRC SS312 is available for about $50.

Would some of you give me your opinions about how it sounds and the overall effect? I'm modeling steam for now and notice that it has at least 9 of the basic steam sounds.

Thanks for your help,

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
hi jwmurrayjr

hi have two of the mrc ss312 they work reat for the price but they are limited to the length of the wire running to the speakers
i only have 5 steam locos and the rest is more of what you would see today the sound is great for both but you have to play with the placement of the speakers to get what you want i have sound decoders for my locos but haven't put them in so i still run the mrc ss312 my boy love it when he is in the room with the sound filling it up

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Any Sound Is A Good Thing...

Until we have a really properly set up layout, we're using an old Lionel "Whistling Steam Shed". All this does is simulate a steam whistle, and from one location only. However, the popularity of this ONE sound device leads me to say that any sound is better than none. Sure, I'd like to have a decoder / sound equipped fleet, (...who wouldn't?) but until that day, we sure won't be putting it away.

I'd say go for it.:)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I'm interested in the same unit. Wonder if a crafty person can tap a line out and run it through an amp or even just add a cheap PC subwoofer to it.

Another thought, might cost more or less, but would be more expandable and maybe handle other duties, is a cheap used PC with sound. I've seen downloadable wave files somewhere on the internet. Luckily the internet is small, I'm sure we can find them again.:D :D :D Of course with a cheap PC, we can add databases to track rollin stock, free software to do other duties, and internet access near the layout. We also add work, comlexity and another diversion to keep us from the real layout work. hmmmmmm....

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by jwmurrayjr
To borrow an old saying"

"PC? We don't need no stinking PC!"

:eek: :) :cool: :D ;) ;)

I think we can figure some way to amplify this thing if it needs it.
Maybe. :) I think the kids would like it. ;)

You mean you don't want the joy of figuring out how to make the whistle blow just after the train passes the crossing and it's too late?

KISS - just press a button and it makes the sound. That's the attraction to that thing... EZ.:cool: