MRC sound decoder

Alan B

Jul 13, 2004
Good price. Easy to install. They come with a speaker. Sound is generic, diesel or steam. But, they sound good enough. Functions are limited.

Alan B

Jul 13, 2004
daboonk said:
so would you recommend it for a beginer?
If you've installed a non-sound decoder you'll have no problem with the MRC decoder. If this is your first install, it is a very easy decoder to work with. The speaker comes wired to the decoder so that's two fewer connections to worry about. It goes in like a non-sound decoder. You must find a location for the speaker. In my very limited experience, this is the most difficult part of the install. Not technically difficult, but difficult in terms of getting satisfactory sound. No speaker in HO is going to give great sound. (Dr. Bose has not yet turned his genius to really small speakers.) Because the MRC is a generic diesel or steam sound, they don't include a template for the particular installation. Baffles, holes and the like are on your own. The one I mounted, I let the sound escape through the bottom and sides of a much kit bashed SD-40T-2 from Athearn. It's far from perfect, but I don't think anyone but me can tell.

I should add, it does come with a NMRA plug, so if your loco has a NMRA plug, it's plug and play. You still have to do something with the speaker though.

Javern

Sep 5, 2003
Visit site
I think its a good decoder, I have bought and installed 2 so far. Granted some may not think the sounds are perfect and they aren't. But for me they work and I'm a beginner :wave: