mrc controler

belg

Hey if you had someone telling you they were going to buy you a new controller as a present and money was no object wihch controller would everyone get? I run N scale trains with parallel double track with two seperate power feeds and 15 turnout for industry and the like.Hope this gives enough info to make a decision.Thanks:D

Clerk

I have a Tech ll with dual controls to run trains on two main lines and serves all industries off the main lines and all switches. I also have a Railmaster 1300 that I use for yard switching and lighting. I am very satisfied with them. Just make sure that all tracks are wired with the same polarity so when you transfer a train from one track to another there will not be a short.

belg

hey Clerk thanks for the response since I'm new at this,the question that comes to me is,if I use a controller designed for dual operation do they share a common ground and have two power takeoffs?I plan on running bus wires for main track would that be the best way to go?:confused:On the second controller you say that you run your yard and lights off how does it differ from the first one?

Clerk

My controler has 2 terminals for each track. Do not use a comon bus for both tracks because you will run trains in oposite directions and you can not do that with a comon bus line. Wire each track as if it is by itself.
I use dpdt with center off switches to switch between the two controlers. Shamus has a diagram that shows this very well. This dual controler also has a 14 volt ac connection for the accessorys and switches. The other one has 2 terminals for the tracks and a 14volt AC for acessorys like lights.
I also use a off and on switch for each yard track. I use two wires, one black and one white for the tracks for both transformers and make sure that the all the white wires are connected to the same side on all the tracks. That way you have control over which direction you want to run the trains with what transformer. When I have a train leaving the yard to one of the main lines I have the one side of the dual controler set to match to speed of the other one and the trains leave the yard smoothly.
If it works here are 2 pictures

The track has not been completed at the time this photo was taken but it should give you an idea.

Attachments

• 6%20control%20panel.jpg
    6%20control%20panel.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 174

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Belg, and welcome to the gauge.
Here is the diagram mentioned above by Clerk
Shamus
waver.gif

Attachments

• wiring3.jpg
    wiring3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 179

ezdays

Out AZ way
Originally posted by belg
Hey if you had someone telling you they were going to buy you a new controller as a present and money was no object wihch controller would everyone get? I run N scale trains with parallel double track with two seperate power feeds and 15 turnout for industry and the like.Hope this gives enough info to make a decision.Thanks:D
I'm really new to MRR, but I do know a bit about electronics. When I asked a question on another forum about the quality of the DC output from the controller there was a great debate. Not about my question, but about some people's personal preference to operating systems. After well over 100 reponses I still didn't have my answer, so I happen to spot a Tech /350 that was on sale at a local train shop for $65, took it home and made my own measurements. I was so impressed with it's features and output that I bought a second one. Lots of power, nice clean DC output and very well regulated. it also has programmable momentum and breaking as well as maximum output settings. This is all acccomplished using a "pulsed" output. The slower the duty cycle, the slower the train runs.

Let's just say that I have the background and probably enough parts to build a controller with momentum, but not one as nice as this one for that kind of money.

Don

absnut

Clerk,

Your trackplan looks uncannily like mine... a modified Armstrong plan. It provides for two separate mainlines connected in two places with "branchlines" allowing trains to go from one main to the other without the need for "reversing loops". It's controlled by two power packs utilizing Atlas controllers and selectors (which amount to dpdt switches). With this system, I can power any "block" (still DC) with either power pack. Following Atlas' wiring directions, I use a common return on both lines without problems. Track sketch below:

Dick

Attachments

• trackplanjpg.jpg
    trackplanjpg.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 120