MRC Brilliance Decoder question

Kris

Dec 4, 2006
Hi.... I have a question about the MRC DCC Brilliance Steam Syncro Sound Decoder 1630. I recently purchased Rivarossi's newly released C&O Allegheny #1629, and I need to install a decoder for the DCC ready engine. This will be the first time I have purchased an engine that wasn't already DCC equiped. So, I've been doing a bit of research about different decoders, with MRC's Brilliance surfacing again and again as being one of the top models out there. So, my question is for those of you who have used it... What's your honest opinion? Should I look into purchasing one for my Allegheny? How about other decoders? Any other suggestions?

Oh... and for those of you who read my posts about the trouble I was having with my Athearn Genesis Challenger... I sent the engine back to Athearn for it to be fixed. The company was really, really easy to work with. So, I'll hopefully have a working DCC engine again in a few weeks.

Thanks.
Kris

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
When I was doing research on sound decoders people seem to like the Brilliance line,but MRC's standard line left something to be desired.

As far as others,I have heard that digitrax decoders are very good.Also Loksound decoders are supposed to be very good.Precision Craft Models uses them in their locos.

I have three BLI locos and they use QSI sound,they sound good to me,but I have nothing to compare them to and they aren't sold as a aftermarket product as of yet.

Chris

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Kris, i have used the MRC brillance decoders in diesels and been real happy with them, but haven't tried the steam versions. i have a Riverossi F-E-F Class 3 Northern that was DCC ready, i put LokSound in it, sounds great but was a REAL TIGHT FIT. i have herd the Tsunami's are GREAT steam sound decoders, and noticed they are not as wide as the Brillance and the LokSound decoders. might be a lot easier to put a Tsunami in it. JUST A THOUGHT:thumb:

:D -Deano

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
Spend the money and buy the soundtraxx Tsunami you won't be disappointed

Harold

Kris

Dec 4, 2006
Thanks for the advice. The Tsunami was the other decoder that kept coming up as a good buy. Since my Allegheny is in the mail on its way too me, I'll have to see which decoder would fit the best when I receive the engine. I know that the Tsunami is 16 bit, which is the thing that peaked my interest. So, I'll have to seriously consider it. The heavy steam sound on SoundTraxx's website is killer as well.

Thanks again!
Kris