Mr Rogers' Neighborhood Trolley

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
My wife and I were discussing getting some Mr. Rogers videos for our daughter. It made me start to wonder what happened to Mr. Rogers' original Neighborhood Trolley after the show ended and he passed on. I tried Google without much luck. Does anyone here know where the Trolley went? I hope it's running in a museum somewhere and not stuffed in a box with a bunch of old television props.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
I would have it set up at the Smithsonian Institute myself,I wonder if they thought the same way? Chris

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
joesho said:
lol a sweater thats all?,i used to watch the show always loved the trolley :D

That's what I think,they have the whole freakin' set of All In The Family for petes sake!

I e-mailed them at their site on PBS so maybe they know.

Chris

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I remember an article back in the 80s in MR that described how the author had reconfigured the scenery on the original neighborhood set, making an unpowered HO scale version of the trolley from a Tyco one that was pulled across the scene with fishing line. Pretty cool stuff...

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Why would they want an unpowered Trolley? :confused:

I know someone here on the forum built a Trolley replica at one time but I can't for the life of me remember who. (Even after I PM'ed them about it when I first saw the pics) :eek:ops:

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
oldtanker said:
They said in the artical that it was HO

Rick
I'm not denying that is what the article said.
I just think it looks bigger than that.
Unless it was changed in later years or a misprint?

Attachments

• rogers.jpg
    rogers.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 112
  • rogers2.jpg
    rogers2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 108

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Drawing back on 31 years of memory which is dangerous, the trolley is G Scale or thereabouts, but when showing it going through the model neighborhood at the end of the show, THAT was an HO model.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
CCT70 said:
Drawing back on 31 years of memory which is dangerous, the trolley is G Scale or thereabouts, but when showing it going through the model neighborhood at the end of the show, THAT was an HO model.
Ah, now THAT makes sense! :)

Still hope I can find out what happened to the real trolley though.

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Yeah, me too. Do us a favor and let us know what you find out will ya? I too am curious.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
CCT70 said:
Yeah, me too. Do us a favor and let us know what you find out will ya? I too am curious.
Well, CRed e-mailed PBS, so I'm sure he will post the reply if he gets one.
If they don't know, it may be lost to the anals of history.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Or maybe there is some oral history research to be done.

There are a number of transportation-related Mr. Rogers urban myths: one of which is that some car thieves stole Mr. Rogers' car, but then discovered his name on the registration and returned it, with a note explaining that they were sorry!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
jetrock said:
Or maybe there is some oral history research to be done.

There are a number of transportation-related Mr. Rogers urban myths: one of which is that some car thieves stole Mr. Rogers' car, but then discovered his name on the registration and returned it, with a note explaining that they were sorry!
There are a bunch of rumors about Mr. Rogers as I found out in my search for Trolley. I think every one of them was debunked as well.

My favorite was that he had been a sniper in Viet Nam and had a skull tattooed on his arm for every man that he had killed. That's why he always wore long sleeves. Yeah, OK. You're going to look at Mr. Rogers and then tell me with a straight face that he was capable of anything more violent than swating a fly..... Right. :rolleyes: