1. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

Rough in the rifle and cane for now, going to save that till the very last items to detail. I decided to make it in 1/6 scale almost 3ft wingspan(me like big model, <3, much, <3). I'm trying a new thing on the wing frame, shooting for bullet proof design... ok, maybe not bullet prove, just Allen prove will do.

Attached Files:

• 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      75.8 KB
      Views:
    • 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      78.3 KB
      Views:
    • 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      86.2 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      87.2 KB
      Views:
  2. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

...... maybe I should make the wing fold..... pay no mind, just thinking out loud again....

Attached Files:

• 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      95.5 KB
      Views:
    • 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      104.3 KB
      Views:
    • 25.jpg
      25.jpg
      File size:
      103.9 KB
      Views:
    • 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      98.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Beautiful craftsmanship! if you are careful with the C.G., with some long trailing satin strips, I bet you could make a kit out of this, (second time this week I saw a model that could be made fly). The weight would of course have to be kept to a minimum, but with a 3 foot wingspan, you could get a lot of lift. If you could make a Styrofoam version of this, you would have a great toy on your hands!! :)
  4. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

The amount of work and detail that you are putting into this model is absolutely PHEMAMINAL.
    I like the frame work that you are putting into this model. It looks like it will be very sturdy.
    You truly are a MASTER DESIGNER.
  5. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

I thought about vacuform, pre-cut vacuform kit would be nice. maybe I'll look into it some more when this done.
  6. Zathros

Zathros Guest

7. At 1/6 scale it will be the same size as the Folletto. It will be very interesting to seem them side by side.
    Moewe will be big, but it surely looks nice. I've always loved that glider.

I was wondering about the inner structure of the wings, and I am happy to see that you are being very careful with it. With all those spars it looks like the wings will never sag.

Will it have movable ailerons?

Regards,
  8. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

The main frame section is going to be made out of corrugated sheet. Very careful folding required on that, I guess. I experimented on that with the Savoia.S21 early engine, it works really well, wondering how well it work out on a large scale.
  9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

A Nickel wire with a Rheostat shaped as an airfoil cutting aerospace quality foam would give you a wing with the strength of a surfboard! :)
  10. Allen, after seeing this inner structure of the glider, and the way you design your submarines, I notice that you are making a real difference in the way paper models are designed.

While most commercial models of ships and planes used only a minimal amount of spars, ribs and bulkheads, you include a larger amount of these in your structures.

I like it, because I believe it is an intelligent approach to the structure. It parallels what was called "multi-cell" structure used in the DC-3 wings and other later airplanes. Is not exactly the the same technique, but your multi-spars and firmly placed bulkheads serve the same purpose: they spread the weight and the stress through several smaller structures all along the skeleton. That gives the final model an incredible strenght and resistance. And I know that! Destroying the first Savoia was not an easy task, it took a lot of time and effort. Other commercial models would not have survived at all.

Your kits will make models that will last longer than other commercial paper models. And not also that, your attention to detail produces really fine-looking products. I'm sure of that.

Also, seeing the screenshots of your design process is a most enjoyable experience. :D

Regards,
  11. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

Thank you very much for the kind words, and thanks everyone too. I like my paper model to be play toys, something that I can kick around and not just a shelf fixture look but don't touch. So structure integrity is very impotent to me. I know that in my designs, most of the time and materials are spent on complicated, overkill internal structure, I sure that will turn off a lot of models critics. But, I always want to try something different, experiment. I'm still a papercraft baby learn to walk, long way to go before I can run.

I broken down the parts some more, added card thickest and lap joint(that part is not fun at all). I also added a traditional center spar and cross ribs just in case the corrugated spar don't fly. ..... I addressed the fuselage frame again..... what else did I miss....? Okay, next time I'll address the aileron parts.

Attached Files:

• 27.jpg
      27.jpg
      File size:
      92.2 KB
      Views:
    • 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      104.8 KB
      Views:
    • 29.jpg
      29.jpg
      File size:
      135.8 KB
      Views:
    • 30.jpg
      30.jpg
      File size:
      129.3 KB
      Views:
    • 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      104.3 KB
      Views:
  12. Zathros

Zathros Guest

How the heck do you come up with these frame ideas!?!?!? You a genius Allen! :)
  13. I like your concept: making paper models to be play toys. It sure is a big difference from just static models.

So, like the DC-3 and the B-17, your models can sustain a huge amount of handling, rough winds, flak, enemy bullets.... and still look good :)

I believe what you are doing is "paper engineering" more than just "paper model design". :D

Regards,

Ruben.
  14. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I agree Ruben. My 12 year old plays with all my models. It gives me great pleasure. It also makes for a better static model, as it will keep it's shape longer. :)
  15. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

I went back to rework the frame and bulkheads to accommodated the legs and handrails, also size down the rifle storage tubes too.....

Attached Files:

• 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      87 KB
      Views:
    • 33.jpg
      33.jpg
      File size:
      91.3 KB
      Views:
    • 34.jpg
      34.jpg
      File size:
      88.7 KB
      Views:
    • 35.jpg
      35.jpg
      File size:
      89.2 KB
      Views:
    • 36.jpg
      36.jpg
      File size:
      96.5 KB
      Views:
    • 37.jpg
      37.jpg
      File size:
      144 KB
      Views:
  16. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

....both the handrails and legs are going to have to have a brass wire sandwiched between two card stock to hold up all that weight. ..... think I got everything but the skin nailed down..... yea, I think so. Next, I'll skin it.

Attached Files:

• 38.jpg
      38.jpg
      File size:
      135.1 KB
      Views:
    • 39.jpg
      39.jpg
      File size:
      87.3 KB
      Views:
    • 40.jpg
      40.jpg
      File size:
      91.3 KB
      Views:
    • 41.jpg
      41.jpg
      File size:
      101.6 KB
      Views:
    • 42.jpg
      42.jpg
      File size:
      85.2 KB
      Views:
    • 43.jpg
      43.jpg
      File size:
      98.9 KB
      Views:
  17. Zathros

Zathros Guest

You might be able to get Brass tubing at your local hobby shop that will slide inside each other. his will give you the ability to remove and repair the railing if necessary. Some of this tubing has flux built into it so it solders together really well. by flattening one end it would give a strong anchor into the frame. Just an observation. Looks excellent! :)
  18. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

Did some more work on the intake and exhaust. I forgot the vents under the fuselage so I addressed that now.

Attached Files:

• 44.jpg
      44.jpg
      File size:
      70.3 KB
      Views:
    • 45.jpg
      45.jpg
      File size:
      76.8 KB
      Views:
    • 46.jpg
      46.jpg
      File size:
      77.9 KB
      Views:
    • 47.jpg
      47.jpg
      File size:
      74.2 KB
      Views:
    • 48.jpg
      48.jpg
      File size:
      118.3 KB
      Views:
    • 49.jpg
      49.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
  19. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

..... and couple more pic for your enjoyment.

Attached Files:

• 50.jpg
      50.jpg
      File size:
      71.9 KB
      Views:
    • 51.jpg
      51.jpg
      File size:
      72.9 KB
      Views:
    • 52.jpg
      52.jpg
      File size:
      73.6 KB
      Views:
    • 53.jpg
      53.jpg
      File size:
      75.2 KB
      Views:
    • 54.jpg
      54.jpg
      File size:
      79.6 KB
      Views:
    • 55.jpg
      55.jpg
      File size:
      74.9 KB
      Views:
  20. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Great work, I think the Engine really looks great!!