1. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

Nausicaa's Mowe. Started this project over a year ago, I think. Don't remember if I posted it anywhere before, but anyway, finished the inner frame from UX-1 last night, thought I'll take a break and pull Mowe out to work on the jet intake and exhaust. The handrail is only stand in for now, but so far so good. Still need legs and rifle, then I can move on to the inner frame, when I will get to it.... only GOD know.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      78.9 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      80 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      68 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      75.2 KB
      Views:
    • 05.jpg
      05.jpg
      File size:
      75.3 KB
      Views:
    • 06.jpg
      06.jpg
      File size:
      76.9 KB
      Views:
  2. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

few more pic.

Attached Files:

• 07.jpg
      07.jpg
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
    • 08.jpg
      08.jpg
      File size:
      71.9 KB
      Views:
    • 09.jpg
      09.jpg
      File size:
      71.4 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      74.6 KB
      Views:
  3. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

OK, I know absolutely nothing about this, but I can say that it looks really good and you are off to a great start.
    If it were really, I would be willing to learn how to fly it.
    I look forward to see how this turns out.
    I will follow this thread closely.
  4. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Allen, our model is beautiful!! Did you make that figure (could you mail me that file? {I'm a beggar, Christ was a beggar!}), I would love to have that!! I was just about to send you a note as I had not heard from you. I look forward to another masterpiece from you! :)

I have been working on a Nausicaa Gunship ironically!?! (see pic below) I started it two days ago. I am no where near as far along as you are, I feel inspired though!!

Rhaven, Rent "Nausicaa, Valley of the Winds", it is a classic Anime, you'll love it, (while your at it, rent "Princess Mononoke", "Howl's Moving Castle' (a beautiful painting come to life essentially), "Spirited Away", and "My Neighbor Totoro", too, also, rent "Grave of the Fireflies", make sure you have a box of Kleenex with you)!!

Attached Files:

5. WuLongTi

WuLongTi Web Ninja

The family is also fond of Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service and Laputa: The Castle in the sky. I haven't seen Miyazaki's (Studio Ghibli) latest one, Arrietty, based on the Borrowers yet though. Looking forward to renting it from the Red Box :D

[YOUTUBE]oZv4ZdAfRB8[/YOUTUBE]
  6. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE

Looks good!
  7. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

Thank you, all. That is a 1/6 scale 12" mannequin I built to use for stand in for my 1/6 scale model designs. But for this model, Nausicaa is bit shorter then men size, so I scale it down to about 11" tall. Funny, I'm will do the Gunship too. Only got the templates set up in Rhino, have not start building yet. Looking forward to see your.

Arrietty is beautiful, how I love the background painting! And I love the original japanese theme song by Cecile Corbel too, not the Disney version.
  8. I can't believe it! Nausicaa's glider at last will be a paper model :)

And considering your skills and the detail you put in your models, I'm sure it will be a beautiful thing!! It already looks good in the screenshots.

Will it have the small compartment to store tools and stuff that is shown in the manga?

Allen, I will definitely follow this thread. :)
    Watching this model come to life will be nice.

I jockingly said in another thread (another forum) that I had a soul for sale in exchange for a model of this glider. Nausicaa was the first Ghibli film I ever saw, and is a film I love a lot

By the way, the name of the glider in the anime was "Mehve" (or sometinmes spelled "Meheve", which comes comes from the German "Möwe", and that means "Seagull".

to John: the work you are doing in the gunship is very nice. The textures are great.
  9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

10. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

11. ARMORMAN

I would recommend your Nausicaa be 10" in scale, not 11".
  12. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

I scaled it 11" cause I have 1/6 female figure that is 11" tall.
  13. ARMORMAN

1/6 scale fig: 1" = 6"

12" = 6'

11" = 5.5'

10" = 5' which seems to be the indicated scale of Nausicaa in the film.
  14. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

Printer in the studio still down, so that put my UX-1 on hold for a bit, and so I'm back to Mowe again. Finished the handrails and legs, just the rifle and that stick thing to do. I'm thinking replacing that stick thing with a long sword, just thinking out loud, don't know yet.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      72.1 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      77.6 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      75.5 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      77 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      76.3 KB
      Views:
  15. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

And just to see the different in 1/6 and 1/12, I do like it in 1/6, but 1/12 is more manageable....hummm...

Attached Files:

• 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      77.9 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      77.1 KB
      Views:
  16. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

@Zathros, Thank you for the list of Anime films. I have seen a couple of them, and yes, they are very good. Another good one is "Steam Boy". It has quite a few vehicles that would make GREAT models.

@WuLongTi, Thank you for the video. I am quite familiar with the book "The Barrowers". There was also a Saturday morning cartoon called "The Littles" that was based on the same book. Here is the link to the intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HAn4fByVb8

@Allen, The design of this glider is coming along nicely. It is starting to look really good.

Like I said before, it there were a real, fully functional plane like this, I would be willing to strap myself on it and give it a go.
  17. WuLongTi

WuLongTi Web Ninja

Yup, I'm old enough to have spent many a Saturday morning eating Frosted Sugar Bombs while watching the Littles. I even had a card model of Bink(?)'s Bi-plane and some camper boat of theirs that I had gotten from a Scholastic Books Catalog in Second Grade :D
  18. I'm really sorry Allen, please disregard my previous message.
    I had memories of Moewe having some sort of storing compartments for tools and food, but that's not true. My bad memory misguided me.

By checking the manga I found that what actually happens (pages 126-128 ) is that the Prince of Pejite opens some of the panels to check the engine and fix the distributor. There are not storing compartments as I said yesterday.

Sorry for the miss-information.

PS: for Miyazaki fans, here's the ling to a couple of pages showing Miyazaki's early drawings of flying machines. There's a glimpse of Moewe (I suppose it is, because of the gull besides it), and details of the Laputa flapster.
    http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2011/04/from-comics-to-anime-miyazakis-flying.html
  19. WuLongTi

WuLongTi Web Ninja

What a wonderful find! and to see Lupin and Zenigata riding the flapper no less :D
  20. Zathros

Zathros Guest

From this point on, I would appreciate responses only in relation to Goodduck's build.