MoW Proposal

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I had originally intended to run Canadian National through my fictional town of Marlpost, Ontario, set in the 1920s and 30s. Canadian National was made up of many larger and smaller lines by the government of the 1910s and 20s to avoid a monopoly by Canadian Pacific. So my reasoning was that Marlpost had a shortline that was simply absorbed into the CNR.

But what if the line was not taken over? I could still run CNR, but also my own road name. But how to avoid all that painting/decalling? How about... wait for it...

The "Marlpost, Ontario & Western" or MOW. Now I have access to a large number of boxcars, passenger cars, gondolas, even tankers and possibly reefers, already labelled MOW...! ;) RR colours of course would be a mix of silver, blaze orange, and boxcar red. The only two drawbacks I can think of are 1) no engines or cabooses lettered for MOW, and 2) what do I letter the MOW equipment for the MOWRR?

What do you think? (I am semi-serious at this point...! :D).

Andrew

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
The MOWRR could use lease equipment, it could have purchased older equipment from other lines and blocked out the other lines name and decaled on or using letrasete or something like that put on MOW..or MOW
RR
Steam engines could have the MOW on the tenders only or totally black tenders or a number and MOW in small letters under the cab windows..a couple of thoughts..Ron

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Your passengers are sure not going to get used to frills! You could do like the Pacific Harbor Line out here in the Los Angeles harbor. The owner of the railroad likes old classical railroad livery, so they have a low nose gp9 with a fresh shiny S.P. black widow paint scheme, and a sd23 in Santa Fe zebra stripe. They also have an ex S.P./U.P. tunnel motor in the original "bloody nose." all are lettered for Pacific Harbor Lines on the side of the long hood.

To answer your original question, doesn't all mow equipment have the name & herald of the owning railroad painted on the car with large M.O.W. painted elsewhere on the rolling stock?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I guess it depends on the prototype... I was thinking more along the lines of the way model MOW rolling stock comes - simply lettered for MOW.

Interesting comments - please keep them coming!

Andrew