Mounting roadbed & track

jmurphy148

I have another topic I would like to hear some comment on. I'm building a layout I found on another forum. As suggested, I have a piece of 3/4" insulating foam mounted on a 36" door which I cut down to 60" for a 3 ft by 5 ft bench. Someone suggested using hot glue to mount the roadbed to the foam and to use CA to mount the track on the roadbed. I wonder what folks who know a whole lot more than I do think of this idea.

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Attaching stuff..

The hot glue has worked great for me:

- plywood and wood--> foam
- foam --> foam
- cork --> foam

but I would be hesitant about using CA if it cannot get air to dry or if one of the surfaces is too porous for it to get enough of a grip. Plus it is more expensive than the other things I have used.

Besides track nails (or small brads) to attach track, I have successfully used (in order of longest to least working/drying time):

- Carpenters Glue (cork roadbed --> track),
- Elmer's White Glue (cork roadbed --> track),
- Contact Cement, and
- Liquid Nails for Small Projects.

The Contact Cement and Liquid Nails just need clean surfaces (no loose stuff) so they may be a better choice but you need decent ventilation in the room with those two products.

steamhead

I use Liquid Nails for Projects for gluing foam and latex caulk, the kind that dries transparent, for laying track. You can get both of these at your local HD store.
I would NEVER use CA for anything that requires more than a couple of drops to do the job.

Good Luck on your project..!!

Nomad

I have not tried this, but I talked to people who use hot glue for the track to. That way if you need to move the track, you can warm the glue with a blow dryer, reposition the track and the glue will harden again.

Loren

mummert

When I glued my track down I used regular white elmers glue diluted with a little bit of water. I used a paint brush to put the glue on the road bed then put the track on it. I used some small pins to hold the track down while it dried. Has held so far with no problems. Plus I figure once the ballast is glued on that will be a little extra holding power.

steamhead

Mummert...Hopefully when you put your ballast in, the"wet water" that you'll need to soak it won't dissolve the glue holding the track down....With the caulk I use, you can easily remove the track by sliding a spatula underneath and running it down between the track and roadbed.

mummert

I had thought about that myself but I have put down small sections of ballast at some of my tunnels and have not noticed any problems. Although to be honest I havent actually checked to see if the track came loose.

nolink5750

I used the hot glue gun to attach the track to the roadbed. I used liquid nail to lay the roadbed. The hot glue dries very fast and you have to be precise the first time. I haven't tried that hair blower trick yet. That will be nice if it works. Thanks for the tip Nomad.

Nomad

Remember, the idea is just word of mouth. I don't now for sure it works.
Good luck.

Loren

myltlpny

The door is a good idea, it's a very rigid framework.
I used yellow glue to mount my roadbed (in HO) as well as my track. I had read that using yellow or white glue allowed you to reposition the track at a later date if necessary by wetting the glue and letting it soften. I'll be darned if it didn't work like a charm. I had one track that was just a tad too close to another track around a bend. I wet the track, let the glue soften and was able to pry it up and reposition it. Some more white glue to anchor it and away I went.
I didn't use any nails, just the glue and some masking tape to hold the track in place while it dried.