Mounting Peco PL10 Motors to Foam???

beegee

I'm in the process of building a new layout, its an around the wall shelf type with a hole-in-the-wall into a 12' x 12' room with the same type of shelf system. I have the base finished and now want to start laying track. Photos of the base can be viewed at http://community.webshots.com/user/chooch261 . I want to use 1" foam board to put the Woodland Scenics roadbed on and I need to know if I can mount the Peco PL10 switch motors under the foam. Should I use Invisamount motor bases and glue them to the foam or is it possible to glue the motors right to the foam. Any help on this or anyone with experience at this type of construction your comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Bob:
I have never tried it. My feeling is that the foam may be a bit soft for the force of the switch machine. Also, glueing may be a problem if there is a problem in the switch machine.
Since you're using foam, you could easily cut the hole for the switch machine and mount it right on the switch. Just leave the recommended clearance in case the machine heats up.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Bob,
If you are using Peco Points (Turnouts) along with the PL10's, then just attach them to the points as they were meant to be used, that way it doesn't matter what you are using for the baseboard as the point and PL10 will be together as one unit.
Just cut a hole large enough for the PL10 to go through.
Shamus

beegee

Hello Shamus, I feel like a fool!!! I must have handled these Peco turnouts and switch motors a thousand times and never realized they went together like that. I had never noticed those slots in the ends of the ties before but this is certainly going to simplify matters. I have 1 question for you though, do you recommend to bend the tab over on the tie end or use a drop of adhesive to hold the motor in place. I'm thinking a drop of super glue on each tab would hold the motor in place and if the tabs were painted the same color as the tie you wouldn't even see them. Also do you know if you can buy repair parts for Peco turnouts. I bought a bunch of good ones off E..... and the guy threw in about 10 that were damaged, mostly the moveable track is missing so all they need is a new throw bar and the 2 pieces of moveable track. Seems a shame to throw them out when they could be repaired if the parts are available. Thanks for the info Shamus and I'm now going to go and bang my head against the wall a couple of times. Thanks, Bob

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Bob,
Yes, just bend them over, don't use any glue of any kind anywhere near it .

Shamus

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Bob:
I have a small collection of Peco N gauge turnouts with the motors glued to them...from the days when the motors were plastic!
Definitely bend the tabs over; someday you will have to take one off.
And use the ones with the short actuating wire unless the long wire is the same price.

beegee

Thanks for the replies . There is one thing to note, I put a switch motor on one of my switches and then mounted it on a piece of foamboard [Dow 1" SM Type] , this is the thickness I'll be using for my layout as I'll use Woodland Scenics risers and inclines for any hills or valleys I'll use on the layout. With the motor mounted on the switch the hole in the foamboard for the motor is completely through the 1" foamboard so I'll have to hide the hole in the foam at that spot. This wouldn't be a problem if the foam is over 1" in thickness but it is something to think about in planning a new layout using the SM board. Thanks again Group.

And a note to Shamus, that is a terriffic web site you have and the detail on the layouts is absolutely outstanding, I don't think I've seen such incredible detail on a layout before.