Mountains in Minutes polyfoam

petepuma

Had anyone heard iof this product?

And if so, do you have any information on how it's used and if it looks good?

I saw a little clip in the lastest MR and was kind of curious...

Thanks alot!!

heydoc

I think I have used every possible product, technic, suggestion, idea, or combination to model mountains and terrain. On my latest layout I am using a one, two, three procedure that works great. Bacic form is Great Stuff, which is then covered with plaster cloth and finally painted with Flex paste. I prefer Poly Terrain but they have vanished??? Cheaper, better stuff. Thankfully Hobby Lobby had Flex Paste at 50% off after Christmas and I stocked up. While you can't cast Great Stuff, you can control the final result by how yo add the plaster cloth. You end up with a very light weight terrain that takes whatever scenery you desire to apply.
Doc

Dragon

No worries about the flammability of Great Stuff?

I can see it as a quick, cheap way to make mountains, but the wall my layout is going on backs the furnace cubby, and I don't want to add a potential SEVERE fire hazard (wood, paper, scenery, etc., will be bad enough).
:)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Dragon,

If you have all the proper (manufacturer recommended and building code) clearances around the furnace, you should not have a problem. I imagine the majority of the flammable hazard comes from the isobutane that is used to spray the product.

At the DOW website, it is interesting to note that the foam is certified for "fire migration prevention" (helps to slow the spread of fire), yet the MSDS states that toxic flammable gasses are produced under "decomposition conditions" including elevated temperatures!

More info:

http://greatstuff.dow.com/greatstuff/pro/fireblock.htm
http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiterat...tems/pdfs/noreg/741-62848.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

All in all though, probably no more dangerous than other building materials in your home.

Andrew

zedob

I used MinM years ago. It's a two part expandable foam, which probably came from the floatation , or "insta-pak" industry. It seems to be the same stuff.

It's decent for lightweight rock castings for modules, but for a home layout I'd use foam sheets and plaster rocks. I just like the way plaster reproduces details and takes stains.

I ran across this guy at the big RR show last month who makes rubber rocks. www.cripplebush.net Honestly, this is some of the best rock work I have ever seen. Neat concept, they're flexible, lightweight and easy to cut, but they are expensive. I really wanted to buy one of them because the strata was perfect for a short cut that is on my layout. However, I just bought a Tsunami and associated stuff and had reached my daily spending limit, so I passed.

N

nachoman

hey zedob - those are the best rocks I have ever seen. That may even include real ones!

nice to see someone being creative with their geology degree!

kevin