Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cheesecloth

• other...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Southern4449

Was wondering what all of you use to construct your mountains..
What makes a mountain real to you, is it the angle or just the way it has been finished..

Seaboard

I used foam on one project of mine. It works really well, and you can shape it into just about anything. You can apply any touch up work to it with no problem.:thumb:
It's probably the easiest and quickest way to make a mountain to.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
I can’t really help you since my first mountain is nothing more than a second tier piece of plywood at this time. However I am probably going to use a combination of PINK FOAM, paper, tape and wood to form the slopes and peaks. Of course in addition I will use some rock forms and plaster or what ever they call that stuff.

[FONT=&quot]The actual landscaping will make or break the realistic appeal of the mountain. I think the hardest part to do will be trying to duplicate the rail cuts. I’m not much of a painter either so that will be a challenge.[/FONT]

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
I use a mixture of different ways.

My favourite is "Rhinolite" a type of plaster- better than Plaster of Paris- since it doesn't crack that easily, I will post some pics of what a friend of mine did with it.

Unfortunately buying the bandages to dip into the plaster is quite expensive.

Russ Bellinis

I think this is another area where "one size does not fit all." I haven't buiilt any mountains, yet, but a small mountain on a layout might work well in foam, but if I was going to do some floor to ceiling scenery, I think I would use something more in line with plaster over window screen.

jambo101

I go with the scrunched up window screen,spread it out on the layout and tack it down then start applying coats of Plaster of Paris.when dry paint it put some trees and voila a mountain.This method will crack over time but its easy to just repair and add more paint or cover cracks with moss..

oldtanker

I'm going with foam because of how dry the air gets here in the winter months. Dry air make paster cracking a when not if event.

Rick

Will_annand

I checked cheesecloth because it is the closest to "Used Dryer Sheets". I could have checked foam as well.

I roughly build up the size shape with foam and then dip the "used dryer sheets" is a 50/50water and white glue mixture (add a couple of drops of dish liquid to break water tension). Then drape the sheets over the foam. You end up with strong yet cheap hard shell.

rogerw

Thanks Jeff. I was very impressed by the final outcome. I will have to try it when I get to that stage. Thanks Roger

Relic

Mountain{?} construction

I don't know if these qualify as "mountains"but they'r part of a mountainus area.
I made mine with foam{white,cheap}covered with cheesecloth soaked with "polly-filla" then coloured with a wash of gray paint.
The crossing photo just kinda got chucked in for the halibut.

Attachments

• rck cut .JPG
    rck cut .JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 191
  • crnr mt.JPG
    crnr mt.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 193
  • dbl brg 1.JPG
    dbl brg 1.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 188
  • crsng 1.JPG
    crsng 1.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 187

i did the cardboard strips with hot glue, covered with newspaper dipped in plaster of paris.... then i covered the entire mountain with another layer of plaster to firm it up a bit.... worked really well for me.

hooknlad

For mountains, i make a screen foundation out of screen mesh ( the plastic kind for screen doors ), then i apply paper towels that i have soaked in a soft slurry of pre made drywall compound (Spackle) . I apply several layers then dress it up with my dremel.
For the " solid" rock formations, i use the blue Styrofoam, scratch it up some, then apply drywall compound.. I then spray the formation with a water based latex paint , specially formulated for Styrofoam.. You can purchase this spray paint at most craft stores..
Oh, and by the way, have a good shop vac handy with you when you do any of the cutting of the drywall and Styrofoam..

anoldrail

For my mountains, I use newpaper folded in a pillow shape and then taped, glued or loose, depending on where it is used. Then I use plaster cloth to drape over the newspaper. I have found this to be the simplest and cheapest way to do it. Plaster cloth can be found in your LHS or at a medical supply store. Just one more idea. All of the others look very workable as well.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
i use extruded foam to get the basic shape,no shaping it since i staple a first layer of window screen on tight to make the hard surface yet light ,then i add plaster soaked paper towels to make it even stronger,i find this way VERY strong yet workable for scenery N such.

Fasttracken

one thing i saw my friend use is old ceiling tile just snapped it in half and ruffed it up with a wire brush and painted it

gave a really nice cliff type face

scott