Motor Vehicles for FSM kits?

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by WalterJ, Jan 16, 2008.

1. WalterJ

WalterJ Member

I am thinking of building FSM HO scale kit "Duffy's Coal Yard" and am wondering where I can get those great looking vintage trucks that George Sellios always shows on his Ads for his kits...people too? (They would have to be as detailed as his structures)

WalterJ
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I am not sure what trucks George has (got a link to pictures?, but there are a few sources for the WW1 to WW2 era.

Woodland Scenics make a white metal Mack dump truck from pre-1920.

Jordan (Jordan Highway Miniatures) makes all kinds of vehicles, from horse drwan buggies to busses suitable from 1900 to about 1940.

A friend just asked me to paint some trucks he found from Roco. While they are "Russian Army" circa WW2, they look very much like the Ford (and other) trucks from the late 1920s.

A great look at all kinds of railway-related trucks is Ian Wilson's Topic of the Month CN Express & Freight Vehicles

Andrew
  3. WalterJ

WalterJ Member

Thanks for the info Andrew.... I'll submit a Jpeg of Ad.
  4. WalterJ

WalterJ Member

Duffy's C Y and trucks

Andrew,

I have attached a jpg here. His trucks and cars look so real and fit perfectly with all his weathered structures! Thats the look i want.

My wife, years ago (maybe 15) got me to take her to a Doll Show in Timonium MD, and lo-and-behold there was a major Model Train Show going on at the same time! I was a happy camper! She ended up buying me a HO scale structure kit that took me almost a year to finish. I'll attach a jpg of that later as I don't remember who created it. I called it "Herling's Brewery" and made up all the sign accordingly. Hopefully some day it will join other structures on 'My Railroad'.

WalterJ

Attached Files:

5. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

That's a nice kit!

The coal conveyors (if you want more) are made by Walthers, and they come three or four to a package for about $12 or so.

The truck looks like the Woodland Scenics white metal Mack dump truck I mentioned above. It is alos possible that it is a Jordan kit. Either way, trucks like that are available. The truck puts the date as early as about 1923, although it could have been in service for up to maybe 20 years? The tractor is likely newer, but not by much with those big metal wheels.

Andrew
  6. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

A lot of the vehicles in the FSM ads and on George's layout are from Jordan.
    Here are a few of the trucks available from Jordan:

1922 Packard stake truck -
    [​IMG]

1923 Mack stake truck (This one comes as a chassis that can be built as-is or shortened. Like most Jordan trucks, you can also substitute a different body for cargo -
    [​IMG]

1923 Mack dump truck -
    [​IMG]

Ford Model AA tank truck -
    [​IMG]

1929 Model A Railway Express Truck -
    [​IMG]

Model A pick-up -
    [​IMG]

Model T pick-up -
    [​IMG]

Farm wagon (comes with horses and a driver, and material for harnesses: I haven't got around to the latter part) ;) -
    [​IMG]

They also have a couple of other dump trucks, two firetrucks, some delivery wagons, and several 1920s automobiles, along with two buses and a steam shovel. Most of the vehicles are from the 'teens and '20s.

Wayne
  7. WalterJ

WalterJ Member

Thanks guys!

Jordan and Woodland seem to be the sources. If I buy the FSM kit, I'll buy a few of the vehicles from the above companies.

WalterJ