Motor noise with walking beam oil pump

mentor63

Jan 29, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I have a Walthers walking beam horse head oil pump on my layout. It works fine, but it is noisy (a gear noise). I had the same issue with the one on my N scale layout. I contacted Walthers, but they indicated that no one has ever mentioned this issue before. I find the noise very bothersome and was wondering if anyone has the same situation and, if so, does anyone have a solution? Thanks, Gary

Attachments

• oil pump.jpg
    oil pump.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 7

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Sorry....No solutions from me...but...Is that what those things are called.? Why "walking beam"..? And I've always thought they looked more like T-Rex heads...Not horses..!!

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
How long have you had it?
Like a brand new loco, it might just need breaking in.
You also might want to try a little Labelle White grease on the gears.
Hope this helps.

N

nachoman

If you have sound equipped locos, turn the volume up :)

Kevin

the real ones make noise, BTW :)

PS, I really like that scene. it reminds me of more than a few places I have been.

mentor63

Jan 29, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks for the inputs so far. Steamhead, I double checked: Walthers 933-3170, walking beam/"horse head" oil pump is what they call it.

I think the noise is largely in the electric motor gearing, 933-1050, or the way the gears interface between the motor and surface mounted oil pump. Walthers suggested I build an enclosure below the surface of the layout surrounding the motor, which is attached below the pump, to muffle the sound, but I think that was just a thought rather than a proven solution. I tried lubrication without much help and the one on my N scale layout has never "broken in".

I reminds me of how older model locos are alot more noisy than the new ones. I just thought maybe there might be a similar way to improve the motor and gearing for this oil pump.

Sounds as if no one has had personal experience with this though, but thanks for your thoughts. Thanks, Gary

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
I tried the "muffle enclosure" idea on an Atlas turntable....Didn't do squat. There's just too many pathways for the vibrations to get out and make noise....:curse:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I have quieted Athearn locomotive gear boxes down by disassembling them and cleaning out the lube. Then I reassemble them with a dab of tooth paste instead of lube, and run them for 20 minutes or so in each direction. The toothpaste is about the finest abrasive that is generally available anywhere. After using the toothpaste to polish the gears, I disassemble the gear boxes and clean everything in a alcohol bath. Then reassemble with the correct La Belle plastic compatible oil, and the engines run a lot quieter than stock out of the box. The same thing might work for the gear boxes on your oil wells.