Motor Brushes

GNRail

Jun 18, 2003
Sudbury,ON
Visit site
I recently picked up some fixer uppers in N scale and while trying to ressurect them I found out that the brushes had been worn out removed. Any ideas for replacements? or alternate items that might serve the purpose.

Thanks

Garry

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
You may find suitable replacements at an LHS that sells replacement parts for the HO slot cars.
If they are old Atlas Or Model Power, I have noticed that in their dummy locos they include a motor frame as a nut for the weight bolt. It is complete with brushes and springs.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Down and Dirty Fix

If they are the drop in kind the lead from a hard lead pencil will work. If its too big just "size" it with a piece of sandpaper.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Vic said:
If they are the drop in kind the lead from a hard lead pencil will work. If its too big just "size" it with a piece of sandpaper.

You're kidding, right? That has got to be the coolest A Team/ McGuiver type fix I've ever heard of.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
shaygetz said:
You're kidding, right? That has got to be the coolest A Team/ McGuiver type fix I've ever heard of.

No kidding on the fix :eek: :) Just be sure its hard lead.....not the soft kind they gave you to write with in the second grade :D :D Pencil lead and motor brushes (for the most part) are nothing but hard graphite which is electrically conductive :thumb:

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Eric,
How long do the brushes need to be?
Athearn motor brushes are 1/8" in dia. and 9/32" long.
If they are only apout 1/8" long, the brushes from the old Aroura Thunderjet-500 slot cars might work.

F

Fred_M

Pencil lead is graphite, and hard is like #4 or bigger number. A regular pencil is #2. Art stores have such pencils, maybe even with "lead" up to 1/8". Best is to find an old vcr motor or such and salvage the brushes. Another souce I have used are old fashion batteries that have a carbon (graphite) rod in them, a AAA would be a little bigger than 1/8 but it's easy to sand down in a drill. Just watch the gray goop in them batteries as it's poison and mildly caustic. When I was a kid we use to cut D cells open with a saw all the time to make carbon arc lights. Sharpen the rods in a pencil sharpener, put them in spring clothes pin with a piece of zip cord, plug them in, and touch them lightly together. Made one bright light it did. You could feel the heat come off them. Man, were we nuts or what? FRED

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
They nead to be almost a quarter of an inch long and about 1/8" in diameter it is for my American Flyer Post War New York Hudson.
Any good ideas for getting the lead out without breaking the lead?
Eric

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Soak the pencil in water overnight. The wood should just crumble off. BTW see Freddy's post....a large art supply place usually has leads in various sizes and hardnesss.

F

Fred_M

With a big snap blade knife one quiet evening, while you are watching the grass grow, whittle away the wood. :) FRED